Black mass in middle of lily patch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had lilies in my pond for many years but suddenly a big black solid mass is appearing in the middle of several lily plants . It's hard and obviously part of the plant. Apart from looking ugly it's taking up space that could be lily leaves and flowers. What is it and how do I get rid of it?

Attachments

• 20210504_130146.jpg
    20210504_130146.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 92
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wow! Good question. I've never seen anything like that? Can you cut it out? Does it extend down to the pot or is it just floating? Do you groom the plants - ie pull the pads out as they age?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow! Good question. I've never seen anything like that? Can you cut it out? Does it extend down to the pot or is it just floating? Do you groom the plants - ie pull the pads out as they age?
I haven't tried to cut it out. No pot, free standing. I pull some pads off but most are out of reach unless i dive in.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1620142878083.gif
@martyn
Wondering if it could be the hard roots just spreading out and floating up? Just guessing. Do you ever thin/cut your lily roots?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with everyone, looks like tubers are floating up. Happens when you give them free reign in the pond.

Ask a Question