Blanketweed

Reaction score
Hi again

I have noticed that when I posted last time that I stated that my pond was 750Gallons volume, this should have been 1750 Gallons .I have had a couple of replies that seemed to dismiss my ongoing problem with blanketweed on my waterfall and within my pond as petty but believe me this is not the case,
My pond is stocked with Koi as well as other varieties could someone please give me a permanent solution to this problem I will be eternally grateful

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Some on here use hydrogen peroxide on the rocks on their falls. They turn off the falls and then spray it on the rocks and then wait for a certain amt of time for it to dry and kill the string algae or blanket weed. They will see this here and get to you soon w/ more info. It's not supposed to be harmful to your fish. You will have to do it whenever it happens again tho.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You can learn how to apply algaecides accurately
You could switch off the waterfall long enough for the BW to dry out
Manually, Let the BW grow and mass up, to the point where it all twirls and hurls in one go
You can make a plant pond to abstract fertility and run the fish pond water through it

Cut fish numbers and fish food from fertilising blanketweed

There isn't a permanent solution. Your pond configuration promotes BW, a fertile pond with too many fish is always going to be invaded by algae

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nope just a lot of work staying on top of it .A toilet bowl brush helps .Not sure what kind of filter media you use but I also clean that with peroxide .

Reaction score
and hope for the best and that it doesn't become immune to whatever chemicals, if you do use them, have heard it comes back harder and stronger sometimes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a similar problem, not sure if I have blanket weed and/or just string algae, but what I'm trying (have just placed the bale two days ago and it needs a month to show results, or so it says) is to have my waterfall source run through a barley bale, hoping that the leaching of the HP will keep the falls clear. I'll know later if this works, but it might be an idea to try. Didn't cost much to try, either. I just placed the small bale between layers of rock and let my hose end pour over it. Can't hardly even see the barley, so not losing much here.

Michael

Ask a Question