Blue heron deterrents

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Seems like the heron are protected all over the country! Not sure it's necessary in this area, every time you pass a farm pond or go by a marsh area it seems there's one standing around.
Any way, thinking about this and wondering......since the heron's hunt is visual it would follow that impairing his vision in the pond could be an answer. Since it wouldn't be politically correct to blind or blindfold them, I'm wondering how this would work;

This would obviously require an air pump and some hose or weighted plastic piping, but a lot of us have aerators any way and this would just modify the air delivery. I was thinking of using a section of the weighted air hose long enough to lay on the pond bottom in front of where the heron likes to fish. This hose would have holes drilled in it every 1/2"- 3/4" and could be left on a timer to operate during daylight hours, or set with a motion sensor. I'm sure the air bubbles wouldn't frighten the heron after a while, but the distortion on the surface that the bubbles would make might make his hunt futile because he couldn't see past the surface.
If nothing else, it would create an unusual aerating system.

Opinions?

With a passive infrared detector, it could be set with multiple line unless it is only one spot. Obscuring the view sounds good. I have a weeping European Beech over the pond obscuring the view from the air along with a life like heron over the pond. No more landings !!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is an interesting thought Timothy, but what about winter? I have had the heron land in the snow and stalk the pond. I am going to just keep my net up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That is an interesting thought Timothy, but what about winter? I have had the heron land in the snow and stalk the pond. I am going to just keep my net up.

In this area ice becomes the deterrent. We generally have skimmed over by Thanksgiving, and the ice will be pretty much set until late March. As soon as the ice starts forming I shut everything down.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In this area ice becomes the deterrent. We generally have skimmed over by Thanksgiving, and the ice will be pretty much set until late March. As soon as the ice starts forming I shut everything down.
Not here, we have been darn warm until January recently. No ice until then.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Over the years, a number of people have mentioned that herons learn about the deterrents pretty quickly, so even something like a radio coming on becomes ineffective. One of the ideas I had was collecting different types of motion-sensor Halloween props to put around the pond. The heron gets faced with a different sound or a different type of motion as they try different spots around the pond, and I would think that would make it much harder for them to learn that there's no danger... Of course by the time Halloween rolls around I haven't seen any herons here for a few months and I always forget to go shopping...

I really like that idea of the bubble wand. If I can get my plants cleaned back around the edge, I also have a small fountain I could set up. Unfortunately my fish are always swimming around the edges and would still be seen, so I'm doubtful it would be very helpful here.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What those darn birds put us human fish keepers through is pretty crazy!
We will do just about anything to try and protect those fish. Anybody up to building a pathway sensor around the edge of the pond that starts to vibrate like a small earthquake when Mr Heron sets foot on it :LOL:

Reaction score
Like many I have a blue heron problem again. This is my second pond at a new (to us) house. I've only seen it once and it's only got 3 fish so far but my neighbor tells me he sees it daily after I've left for work. A little history. 5000 gal pond, 4 ft deep, surrounded by big rocks and no shelves for the heron to stand on. I have a scarecrow water deterrent and last week added a fishing line barrier around the perimeter to help. The bird still comes. I've read a lot of threads but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I've thought about setting up a "wind guy" like you see at a car dealer or store. I'd like to put it in a pot and set it to go on with a motion sensor. I also thought about making or buying a life size large dog wood cutout put on a pole that swivels. I've been told this helps keep the geese out of golf courses. Any thoughts, plans/directions and comments would be appreciated.
I haven't had a Heron here yet but I do get Egrets, I bought the alligator and I've lost 2 fish in the past 2-3 years. Not sure where they went (raccoons?) but I probably lost 6 in the previous year before the alligator.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
A really pretty pond. There is blue heron netting that will keep them out. I have used this in the past

http://www.pondnets.com/index.php?o...gory_id=10&Itemid=10010&vmcchk=1&Itemid=10010

I'm rebuilding my pond now and I've found that overhanging flagstone and a straight down drop in the water keeps them at bay but it doesn't look near as natural as what you have.

I would recommend the 1 inch because I've heard nasty stories about the herons stabbing fish but not able to get them out with 2 inch netting. The 1 inch seems to deter them better.

Good luck!!

One other thing I've done is added a 4 inch PVC pipe like this

$_3.JPG

with a large piece of flagstone on top with a plant on top of that. It gives the fish a hiding space and a platform for plants. Hope this helps.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like the wide weave net hanging up over the pond, around 3 feet up. The heron can't stab through it and get any fish. I used the small weave at one time, but to many frogs, little birds etc got caught and died. With the wide weave the other critters have freedom of movement.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
These are quite efficient. The use of hanging baskets makes them blend into the garden rather well. The forest-green color is particularly effective in allowing them to meld into the surrounding landscape.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
These are quite efficient. The use of hanging baskets makes them blend into the garden rather well. The forest-green color is particularly effective in allowing them to meld into the surrounding landscape.

Brian has the right idea. And it takes care of hippies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So having other projects that needed attention, I put the "submarine curtain" and hot wire aside in favor of trying a decoy as has been suggested. This seems a little counter intuitive. I mean duck hunters, goose hunters, and turkey hunters put out decoys to attract those birds. I know those critters are social, and heron are more or less loners respecting one another's territory, but "my" heron hasn't gotten the word. I set out the decoy a week ago today. I was pretty pleased when he didn't show up for a couple of days, then to my dismay I looked out back and he was standing within 8 feet of the decoy! I scared him off, but the next evening he was back. I must have bought a particularly attractive decoy because I think the heron is in love. He shows up in the evening like he's looking for a snack before going home, but I know he's just flirting.
Now, I may have inadvertently hit on something I never thought of before. Wednesday late afternoon a gust of wind blew over the decoy. I never bothered setting the little tart back up on her feet, but just let her lay there. I haven't seen the heron since she fell down. Does he think she got shot? Does he see a "dead" heron? Does he think he may be next?:) Maybe!
I'm still going to try a couple of other "deterrents" just to see if they work. I'm not above catching this free-loader, tagging him so I can recognize him and letting him go.

This bit of having a battle of wits with a bird is rather humbling when he's better equipped............

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had one strutting around lately. Luckily my pond is drawn down right now so he can't get to the fish. They are brave. Five of us were by the pond andit was just perched on the roof right above eyeing up my fish.

Ask a Question