Using Blue Heron netting. Question about drilling into stone

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
the most non evasive way I can think of to tie down the netting is with small nails or screws with washers on top to hold down the netting but my ponds are sourounded by Oaklahoma Sandstone.

Anyone drilled through stone like this? Last think I want is to crack it!

2013-02-14_16-53-14_855_zps8a360f5f.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had sandstone around our arizona pool and pond. You can drill, it does crack dependent on where the fissures are in the stone. A very good diamond drill bit and water helps.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
kep a cup of water near and keep dipping the drill bit in it and soak the stone with water and tap a starting dimple first so your bit does not travel across the stone .It should work as slate can be drilled this way .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We drilled with a hose running real slow, constant water flow. Not sure if needed, but it worked well.

Reaction score
You can also make a little cup out of clay right over the hole... fill it with water and drill through. Make sure your drill is double insulated and on a GFCI. ;-)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Appreciate all the advice. I've decided to drill into mortar instead of stone. Less risky but I will have water handy!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I also try that first if not restricted by where you need to drill. The drill bit will get hot, the main reason to keep it moist.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I would not drill and put an ugly net over such a pretty pond! I would keep the bad birds out the way to Japanese do in Japan. In Japan the Japanese use garden twine with long strips of cloth tied to twine, and hang the twine high above your head. The twine should be zig zagged back and forth several times over the pond from the house to the trees, and the bad herons will not be able to land or take off with their large wing spread without getting tangled in the twine, so they will not even bother to land!

You could get strips of cloth to match the rock, and call your twine banners fancy garden art! He he!
But this trick really worked very well for me!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20120511_105052.jpg
    IMG_20120511_105052.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 401
Reaction score
Texmaster,

I have to state that I am of the same mindset as Callingcolleen. I am not so sure that I agree with the Japanese method that she cites, I think that is just more of the same invasion into the aesthetics. But, I certainly would not wish to cover my pond with ugly wire or fencing. It seems to defeat the complete and total purpose of having a pond in the first place. Wires and fencing and zigzagging cables or twine? Really? Why not put the plants and the fish in huge aquarium inside the house? At least it would look nice there without the netting and fencing and what not. And the plants and fish would be safe. Ok, I agree, I digress too much.

Hope you understand what I am trying to say here. I just think it is a shame to have such beautiful garden ponds or fish ponds and then cover them up with something tacky and ugly. My Mom's neighbor erected a nice trellace over the top of his mini pond for his vines to crawl over and grow on. Just the trellace alone would keep out any feathered criminals and it looks really NICE! He constructed it out of 2x8's and 2x10's and 4x4 posts. He painted it forest green and doggone if it doesn't look relaxing and shady and comfortable!

I like the "wild" nature better than the attempted domesticated nature. In other words, unless I was raising Koi for money or show, I would have a big pond full of goldfish and be thrilled that the herons and cranes came to dine right out my living room window. That is real nature and you won't get that aspect just watching fat fish swim aound in a big pool and eat Purina fish chow.

I apologize if any of this sounds crass, it's not intended to be. I am merely attempting to inspire you to contemplate some other means to protect your pond in a more aesthetic way and at the same time, realize that nature is cruel because it is simply the way of the natural world and, if you can find some way to bare with it, it is quite a learning experience as well as exciting. It's the BEST REALITY SHOW ever!

Catfishnut

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Texmaster,

I have to state that I am of the same mindset as Callingcolleen. I am not so sure that I agree with the Japanese method that she cites, I think that is just more of the same invasion into the aesthetics. But, I certainly would not wish to cover my pond with ugly wire or fencing. It seems to defeat the complete and total purpose of having a pond in the first place. Wires and fencing and zigzagging cables or twine? Really? Why not put the plants and the fish in huge aquarium inside the house? At least it would look nice there without the netting and fencing and what not. And the plants and fish would be safe. Ok, I agree, I digress too much.

Hope you understand what I am trying to say here. I just think it is a shame to have such beautiful garden ponds or fish ponds and then cover them up with something tacky and ugly. My Mom's neighbor erected a nice trellace over the top of his mini pond for his vines to crawl over and grow on. Just the trellace alone would keep out any feathered criminals and it looks really NICE! He constructed it out of 2x8's and 2x10's and 4x4 posts. He painted it forest green and doggone if it doesn't look relaxing and shady and comfortable!

I like the "wild" nature better than the attempted domesticated nature. In other words, unless I was raising Koi for money or show, I would have a big pond full of goldfish and be thrilled that the herons and cranes came to dine right out my living room window. That is real nature and you won't get that aspect just watching fat fish swim aound in a big pool and eat Purina fish chow.

I apologize if any of this sounds crass, it's not intended to be. I am merely attempting to inspire you to contemplate some other means to protect your pond in a more aesthetic way and at the same time, realize that nature is cruel because it is simply the way of the natural world and, if you can find some way to bare with it, it is quite a learning experience as well as exciting. It's the BEST REALITY SHOW ever!

Catfishnut
I don’t like nets either I just keep feeder goldfish they reproduce so fast that I hardly notice what the herons eat. I also don’t miss having to remove other animal that got stuck in my net.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don’t like nets either I just keep feeder goldfish they reproduce so fast that I hardly notice what the herons eat. I also don’t miss having to remove other animal that got stuck in my net.
I also have cattails and lotus makes it look silly to cover them and the waterfall too

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Still new at this.Sure it won’t be the last time:banghead:
Oh, it’s perfectly OK, but sometimes folks aren’t aware, and don’t realize that they might not get a response, especially if they are “talking” to someone who’s been long-gone from the forum. In many cases it’s better to start a new thread, well, depending on how old the old one was. You can always cut & paste a link to the original. Just MHO.

Absolutely, we encourage folks to look back at old questions!

Ask a Question