Bluegill experience anyone?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I would love to add a bluegill to my pond which is now at the top limit for fish...My original 4 shubies are now around 25 and are about 5 inches each....I cannot afford for any fry to survive. Has anyone had experience adding a bluegill to their pond with goldfish in it? I would be upset if I saw the bluegill attacking or nipping at the fins of my shubies....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
At only 5 inches the blue gill / sun or pumpkin fish should not bother them so long as THEY ARE KEPT FED. But the best part about them is as they grow larger they are very easy to remove with a simple hook and bobber drop a worm on a hook and move them to a new home. I'm no expert for Florida but I would bet it's not spanning season for them . The more colorful they are those would be the males, females need makeup don't you know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
At only 5 inches the blue gill / sun or pumpkin fish should not bother them so long as THEY ARE KEPT FED. But the best part about them is as they grow larger they are very easy to remove with a simple hook and bobber drop a worm on a hook and move them to a new home. I'm no expert for Florida but I would bet it's not spanning season for them . The more colorful they are those would be the males, females need makeup don't you know.
Thank you for this information GBBUDD...I have been searching for a bluegill but in this hot weather I would prefer finding one close by. Most places will only sell them in large quantities and the closest on Ebay is in Texas and they won't ship overnight...So, the search goes on! I'm rather new here in Florida so I don't know anyone that has a large pond or lake to ask if I can go fishing:)

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Can try the larger sunfish/bluegill species, or go with blue spotted or black banded sunfish. They only get 3 inches, so will leave your larger shubbies alone.

I added 6 of each in my pond a year or two ago, never see them because they are secretive, but have not had any new koi fry survive in the pond, since they were added. Before this was havin way too many fry of all species of fish in my pond surviv.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Jhn I take it they are self controlling there own fry . I'd be weary of adding m ore than one as they too will start breeding

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Jhn I take it they are self controlling there own fry . I'd be weary of adding m ore than one as they too will start breeding
Yeah, you’ve seen my pond though and I can get those guys out of there much easier than all the other fish fry that are in there.

Ask a Question