Bog bacteria

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am and it is, (algae control and planted). I was hoping to turn it off in the evening but you're saying my bacteria will die?
Nope, not saying that your bacteria will die. I am saying, depending on whether your 'bog' is surface flow or sub-surface flow, the bacteria will be happier and healthier from the steady supply of oxygenated water to the lower levels of the 'bog'.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ok see that's what I'm trying to figure out since I've heard varying stories. When I turn off the bog, it leaves the water that's in the bog there and I don't think it gets cold enough to freeze the bog with the exception of a few cold winter nights, (I had planned on leaving the pump on during those freeze warnings).
I've just heard so much different information. :banghead:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Nope, not saying that your bacteria will die. I am saying, depending on whether your 'bog' is surface flow or sub-surface flow, the bacteria will be happier and healthier from the steady supply of oxygenated water to the lower levels of the 'bog'.
Hmm what's the difference? between flow's? The water is fed to the bottom of the bog, is that what you mean?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hmm what's the difference? between flow's? The water is fed to the bottom of the bog, is that what you mean?
You have a subsurface flow 'bog', therefore the bacteria in the lower level (bottom) and those that live on the plant roots are aerobic and require a steady supply of Oxygen. If you turn of the pump at night, there may not be enough Oxygen available to sustain these bacteria until morning when the pump is turned on again. You are probably talking very little saved in electrical consumption, if that is the reason you want to turn the pump off.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just wasn't clear about the beneficial bacteria and since I don't have fish wasn't sure there was a reason to keep the pump running 24/7.
I have tried it running 24/7 and on again/off again and haven't noticed a difference either way but then again my pond is new so I just needed some clarity as I get ready for spring.

Reaction score
I am under the impression that the bacteria consume oxygen as part of the process of breaking down the ammonia or nitrite. Correct me if I am wrong but I dont think the bacteria will die off... they will just be less efficient at processing waste at low oxygen levels.

Ask a Question