Bog easy cleaning construction

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes; just don't put it on the bottom proper as it'll draw in whatever accumulates (settles out). Pump is best placed opposite any waterfall/water circulation inlet. If you keep your pond running in colder temps, you should raise the pump nearer the surface to keep the bottom from unnecessary changes. Not absolutely necessary but beneficial, especially since you've got more than 5' depth and probably have a true thermocline. You don't need a huge amount of flow in winter, just enough to disturb the surface; keeps the ice down and a hole open for gas exchange.
I am down here in south Florida cold here is in the 60’s lol so this will be active year round

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes; just don't put it on the bottom proper as it'll draw in whatever accumulates (settles out). Pump is best placed opposite any waterfall/water circulation inlet. If you keep your pond running in colder temps, you should raise the pump nearer the surface to keep the bottom from unnecessary changes. Not absolutely necessary but beneficial, especially since you've got more than 5' depth and probably have a true thermocline. You don't need a huge amount of flow in winter, just enough to disturb the surface; keeps the ice down and a hole open for gas exchange.
I am down here in south Florida cold here is in the 60’s lol so this will be active year round
There is a definite thermocline, with that said and being so far south do you think it would be beneficial to pump from below or above the thermocline?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
if your temps don't go below 39 deg F (water temps), then your warmer water will remain at the top. The reason you pull from the bottom is to help aerate that layer, so I'd leave the pump in the lower portion with temps above 39.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond averages 10’ depth, the pump should draw from the bottom portion of the pond correct? Just not on the bottom.
I run one pump, draw from about a foot from the bottom. It has been running for 10 years now without any clean out needed. Except for pulling excess plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My bog is 12 inches of small river stone. Under that is my (2 inch) PVC manifold which are two legs about 10 feet long. Each one has a vertical clean-out stack at the end with a screw-in cap.

Maybe once every two months I'll notice the water flowing from the bog has reduced a bit. I'll shut off the pump (which is in the pond), open a clean-out stack then turn the pump back on. Black water will shoot out for a couple seconds, then it turns clear. I do the same for the second stack. Afterwards my water flow from the bog to the pond returns to normal.

So, I'll guess what I'm doing is flushing the manifold which is preventing any buildup.

It's really the only maintenance I perform.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Regardless of how steep we make the settling chamber it won't be steep enough for sediment to slip down to one side . not completely anyways..I first drop a pump down the snorkel a 24" culvert pipe and pump out the sediment in the recessed snorkel as the centipede comes into the snorkel about a foot from the bottom of the snorkel so sediment has a place to settle and get trapped. I then take a old pressure washer hose and i slide into the centipede as i have a 24 inch hpde pipe and turn it on and like a hose under pressure when it dances this hose dances under water sturring up what had not made it into the snorkel. i then pump the water down untill clear. All of which only takes a couple seconds theres never any heavy amounts thus far

Ask a Question