Bog easy cleaning construction

Reaction score
Country
United States
New here, just got a property with a 1/3 acre pond on it. I have been reading a lot about bog filters and their pros and cons. The main issue I have seen is dissolved organic buildup. So I scratched out a design that I hope would make cleaning the system much easier. Are there issues with having water cavity beneath the bog? Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.
7648E4B7-0909-462D-9C16-A389A69ED77B.jpeg

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

@addy1 and a few others would be the ones to go too about complicated bog questions :). I am sure they will be popping in here momentarily though!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Rklima3 !

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that dissolved organic build up is a problem with bogs - you should be pumping water free of any organic material to a bog or you'll eventually have issues with clogging. Nine years of a pond with only bog filtration and no trouble with any organic matter build up.

Beyond that, a bog that's built with Aquablox does exactly what you are proposing. The theory being, if the water is moving slowly enough through the bog, any tiny floating sediment that makes it's way into the water column will settle out and sink to the bottom of the void space.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Check out the snorkel and centipede method. It will achieve what you are looking for.

You can use the more simple method which many of use and have not had any issues of clogging that you are worried about.

Here's an extensive bog build showcase by addy... Her bog has been running for over 10 years without issue.

I suggest you read through it for ideas.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess I was reading about muck buildup (hydrogen sulfide) and didnt read enough into other threads. Thank you I will read through them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah - muck is the common threat. "YOU WILL HAVE MUCK". Followed by green pond, dead fish, and horrible luck for all your descendants. Build your bog properly and plumb it correctly and you will be muck free!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you, That good to hear if designed correctly I will not have issues. If I built a structure instead of using aqua blocs do you think the water pump would be good to add moving water or would be unnecessary due to the existing plumbing of the bog?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Are you just trying to keep the water moving in the void space? Or would you be pumping it somewhere?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Rklima3 If you build a plenum of some sort instead of aqua blocks, I wouldn’t see an issue as long as it can hold up the weight of the gravel. You will need some sort of tube ie snorkel going down from above the gravel into/under the plenum, so it can be cleaned out with a pump if necessary. You don’t want a pump underneath the plenum other than to pump it out for cleaning purposes, this spot should be the lowest spot in the bog, so any fines will settle out there. If you had a pump running under there all the time it wouldn’t let the fines settle out of the water column, which defeats the purpose of the void space In this style bog.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No that is pretty much exactly what I was thinking just did not know the proper terms. The semi trash pump would just be ran semi annually or whenever buildup is seen. Awesome site have learned a lot in the last few day and am just getting started.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you just trying to keep the water moving in the void space? Or would you be pumping it somewhere?
one pump just to move the water but apparently that is not a good idea. The other pump would just be to flush the system occasionally

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
one pump just to move the water but apparently that is not a good idea. The other pump would just be to flush the system occasionally
The idea is; you pump water to the bottom of your bog. When/if you ever have to clean it, you'll drop an additional pump down into your cleanout snorkel system. To do this right, so I was told by a pond builder, is to force water from a high volume pump (your main pond pump for instance) DOWN through the top of your bog. This forces the clogged particles to drop into the cavity area below where it SHOULD flow to your lowest point (the bottom of your cleanout vault). The other pump then discharges until you see the water run clear.

As you build this (and it's the mistake I made because the directions weren't as clear as they should have been) is to taper your bog walls to a point, that being the line where you sink your main centipede/bottom bog tubing. This is the tubing with slits where the pond pump forces water. This line of pipe also pitches to the low point (the vault cleanout). If you do this, you'll get a flow (upon surface force water) toward your other cleanout pump in the vault. I was told it takes a two three times to fully clean a bog.

What I used, if you're interested; I used 1-1/2" flex pvc from the pond pump joined to 4" corrugated (in which slits, every 2" were cut, facing down) drain pipe. I angled this along the bottom in it's own 6" trench toward my makeshift cleanout vault. You need this vault/vertical tube to be large enough to house your cleanout pump (if and when you use it). This vertical tube to the vault is capped off when not in use. I didn't use Aquablox (didn't know about them and now that I do, seriously too expensive imo) but instead, used large, 8" river rock as a base layer and then one more over top the drain pipe run. This gives support so the tube won't crush. On top of this, I laid 12" of 2" river rock/cobble and finally, 12" or so of 3/8 pea gravel. Plants then grow over top.

NOW, HOPEFULLY, you'll never have to do this and the minute particles that enter your bog will eventually decay naturally and without your intervention. If you force water too fast or too much through your bog, you'll be more prone to clogging. Also, slower gives your plants more time to take up nitrates and your nitrifying bacteria time to do their thing. And very important, don't have your pond pump on the bottom of your pond--lift it off at least 12".

Reaction score
Country
United States
The idea is; you pump water to the bottom of your bog. When/if you ever have to clean it, you'll drop an additional pump down into your cleanout snorkel system. To do this right, so I was told by a pond builder, is to force water from a high volume pump (your main pond pump for instance) DOWN through the top of your bog. This forces the clogged particles to drop into the cavity area below where it SHOULD flow to your lowest point (the bottom of your cleanout vault). The other pump then discharges until you see the water run clear.

As you build this (and it's the mistake I made because the directions weren't as clear as they should have been) is to taper your bog walls to a point, that being the line where you sink your main centipede/bottom bog tubing. This is the tubing with slits where the pond pump forces water. This line of pipe also pitches to the low point (the vault cleanout). If you do this, you'll get a flow (upon surface force water) toward your other cleanout pump in the vault. I was told it takes a two three times to fully clean a bog.

What I used, if you're interested; I used 1-1/2" flex pvc from the pond pump joined to 4" corrugated (in which slits, every 2" were cut, facing down) drain pipe. I angled this along the bottom in it's own 6" trench toward my makeshift cleanout vault. You need this vault/vertical tube to be large enough to house your cleanout pump (if and when you use it). This vertical tube to the vault is capped off when not in use. I didn't use Aquablox (didn't know about them and now that I do, seriously too expensive imo) but instead, used large, 8" river rock as a base layer and then one more over top the drain pipe run. This gives support so the tube won't crush. On top of this, I laid 12" of 2" river rock/cobble and finally, 12" or so of 3/8 pea gravel. Plants then grow over top.

NOW, HOPEFULLY, you'll never have to do this and the minute particles that enter your bog will eventually decay naturally and without your intervention. If you force water too fast or too much through your bog, you'll be more prone to clogging. Also, slower gives your plants more time to take up nitrates and your nitrifying bacteria time to do their thing. And very important, don't have your pond pump on the bottom of your pond--lift it off at least 12".
My pond averages 10’ depth, the pump should draw from the bottom portion of the pond correct? Just not on the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes; just don't put it on the bottom proper as it'll draw in whatever accumulates (settles out). Pump is best placed opposite any waterfall/water circulation inlet. If you keep your pond running in colder temps, you should raise the pump nearer the surface to keep the bottom from unnecessary changes. Not absolutely necessary but beneficial, especially since you've got more than 5' depth and probably have a true thermocline. You don't need a huge amount of flow in winter, just enough to disturb the surface; keeps the ice down and a hole open for gas exchange.

Ask a Question