Bog Filter

DigdirtJen

Here Fishie Fishie Fishie! :)
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I built myself a bog filter for my pond last weekend. There's about 3 inches of pea gravel in it. Yesterday I planted some creeping Jenny so of course i had to move the gravel around a bit to make a hole for the plant. When i moved the gravel to make the hole, i noticed there was a lot of green algae (i guess it's algae) that started to stir. The gravel isn't green...it's like this stuff was loose, but only in the gravel. Is this what it's supposed to do? Pic of my set up is attached.
filter.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
This is our first season with our bog and we have the same thing happened. We have a healthy 12 inches of pea gravel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Don't worry about what is in-between and under the gravel. It takes time for your bog to get established and soon your pond water will clear up and everything will be great.

Definitely add many more plants. Plants and lots of them are needed to compete with and starve out the algae. Don't forget, algae is also a plant.

Right now, my bog is showing some green above the gravel. I'm not worried in the least bit. My pond water is crystal clear. That's the whole point in having the bog. Clear water with zero maintenance.

Enjoy!

DigdirtJen

Here Fishie Fishie Fishie! :)
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice. Given that it's September and starting to get cooler, what plants should I add to my bog?

Ask a Question