Bog filter for plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's amazing how much we spend in the cultures to start the pond and how many thousands of dollars we throw away just two years latter from over growing

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
100% true! I'm constantly planting things, praying they grown, and then digging them out and dividing them when they get too big!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I just planted a cranberry plant in the bog, a small thing. It half browned. Let’s see if it lives. If it doesn’t I’m gonna go for blueberry next year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know abut cranberry plants for fish but i do know coming from Mas. cranberries are toxic until the skin is removed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
A while back, a branch broke off one of my tomato plants in my vegetable garden.
I figured, what can I lose? So I stuck it into the bog gravel.
It's now healthy and I can see a bunch of roots extending into the gravel.
We got our first tomato yesterday!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A while back, a branch broke off one of my tomato plants in my vegetable garden.
I figured, what can I lose? So I stuck it into the bog gravel.
It's now healthy and I can see a bunch of roots extending into the gravel.
We got our first tomato yesterday!
careful; I put in a cherry tomato last year and it grew to 7' tall and almost as wide. This year? not even close to the bog.

Reaction score
Country
United States
23458E76-FECA-4DA4-88E8-CF4DFBE70F0A.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Finally convinced my brother in law to help. I need advice tho . Any tips to clear the water on the pond? As you guys can see it’s kinda cloudy , I added bacteria and a water clarifier and it for like that . Also any bog filter plant recommendation ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Start with yellow flag iris. Tough things and filter like crazy. You can’t kill them no matter how inexperienced you are.

consider getting rid of them next year as they grow like crazy and need trimming annually.

The Japanese Iris is more tame but the more tame the plan the less filtration it does.

obedient plants are my second advise as they also grow well and it’s hard to permanently kill them.

Both plants can be found everywhere they sell plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While the irris does grow pretty fast there is nothing like that of water cress the plant grows so fast it wont be next year that you'll be pulling half of it out it will only be a month or two before it over grows everything. BUt here is the key it is easy manageable it is one of the easiest plants to pull out the roots are so think it' s like hair and does it filter it has to pull a lot of nutrients out for it to grow so fast. . And the next best part is you don't need to spend 10 or 20 bucks a plant and have it shipped you can get it at any good garden store like whole foods etc. My second choice would be for get met nots. Again an other easy plant to remove when it starts to over grow . iris will give you a battle to say the least. A good aquatic plant is foxglove the fish seem to leave it alone and again easy to maintain but grows like a weed. " because it is"

Reaction score
Country
United States
A few sprigs of aquatic minute are now ginormous in my bog. Pretty purple flowers and easy to cut back.

Ask a Question