Biofalls to bog filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey I was wondering if I could convert the large biofalls to a bog filter by filling it with different size cobbles and gravel like you would a wetland filter ? Pros and cons I could add a drain to the bottom of the biofalls for clean out ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Absolutely you got the right idea just you'll want to pump to the very bottom of the bio falls if its a big one you may even want to add a baffle with a couple pvc pipe cut 1/3 through the pipe on the bottom every 6 inches that way you have an even flow from below

Reaction score
Country
United States
Absolutely you got the right idea just you'll want to pump to the very bottom of the bio falls if its a big one you may even want to add a baffle with a couple pvc pipe cut 1/3 through the pipe on the bottom every 6 inches that way you have an even flow from below
Clean out is my only concern would a drain work out the other side of the biofalls with a valve

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes but i would make a plenum at the bottom pump the water to the bottom but have a grate holding the stone up off the bottom. Like use aquablock sections supported by the same but with say only a 2 inch free span across the bottom . Place the first layer of rock with 1 inch to 1 1/2" rock for a 2 inch layer then add your pea stone. Or what ever size your comfortable with

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love this idea and was hoping that someone else was thinking the same as me. I wish the big manufacturers would offer bog kits or even conversion kits for existing biofalls.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1626969404045.gif
and welcome @addictionaquatics

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love this idea and was hoping that someone else was thinking the same as me. I wish the big manufacturers would offer bog kits or even conversion kits for existing biofalls.
They are so simple to build there's little point. The bio falls can be used as a bog filter how ever the rule is the bog should be 30% the surface of the pond.

Last edited:

Ask a Question