addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Across a corner. Water willow makes a great stay small bog plant and easy to pull
1.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know if the flow on these falls are controllable , I just read this one in particular is 4200gph. I wanted this one because of the bigger size for planting: it’s called the Melody waterfall filter . I’m afraid it will pull the water too fast .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With good reason your pond is less then 400 gallons by the looks of it and thats circulating the water x 10 in an hour thats a lot. but it can be controlled if you work at it ball valves and difusers push the water into a pipe whith multiple holes and difuse the water but i would look more around 1 to 2 thoughsand

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are all of my screw together sprinkler supply/plumbing pipes. I just need to drill holes and put it together. It is a puzzle you can put together at your hardware store with whatever they have in stock. My mom and I spent an hour in the aisle putting parts together to make it work. I had to put it together to "see" if it worked. My brain couldn't just grab the parts to assemble later . This will be my third, and each is a little different depending on what is in stock or how I make all of the bends work. I made mine with capped openings at the ends so they can open to flush out clogs.

I will put it all together, basically as I have it laid out, then I will put the pipe assembly in the bin, cover with gravel.

I need to add an outflow pipe or cut an opening from the bin back to the pond.

Then attach a pump to the bog piping with flexible tubing. I need one more 6 inch riser so the connection to the pipe tubing is above the gravel.

I put the pump in a plastic mesh plant basket in the pond, filled with pea gravel as an added protection to help keep it from clogging.

This is only 3/4 inch piping. My first one I used larger pipes. But I wanted to just use the screw together and not mess with the PVC glue this time. For a small pond, it should be sufficient.

I consider these to be "as long as they last" solutions. They are small enough that it should not be too hard to make a new one if the bin cracks. I am adding a second bog to my small pond because.......fish. I have added more and I want to be sure there is enough of a filtration system to keep their water clean for them.

I can send more pics along the process. I am still unsure on the outflow back to the pond. It will depend on what I can find at the store today. I am pretty good with bailing wire and duct tape lol.

Attachments

• PXL_20210820_134714011.jpg
    PXL_20210820_134714011.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 49
  • PXL_20210820_134707503.jpg
    PXL_20210820_134707503.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 48
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you all are talking about pumps WAY too strong for a 175 gallon plus 20 ish gallon bog. I would think a 150 - 300 gph pump would be perfectly adequate to circulate water through the bog every hour.

This is the type of basket I put the pump in surrounded by pea gravel so it takes longer before it clogs with leaves and gunk. SOmeone on this site posted that tip.

And this is probably the pumps I would get today for an under 300 gallon pond. I know nothing about the brand, it just happens to be what the closest home improvement store has in stock.

Here is a 330 gph pump for 60$ that comes with an extra aeration spray if you want to add it.

And here is a similar sized pump that comes with it's own prefilter basket for 100$ I do have one of these baskets on my waterfall pump. This could be instead of the pea gravel basket I mentioned above. An advantage to this box is that if the bog was overflowing, the pump can not pull lower than this box so there would be enough water to keep fish alive if bog sprung a leak or overflowed.

A similar sized pump is available without the aeration spray or filter box for about 40$. This may be the one I get today for my new bog.

Now that I see your pond pic, I might use a simple "window box" type planter diagonal on one of your corners, with one or 2 rows of bog piping. I would cut a little overflow area so it waterfalled back into your pond.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you all are talking about pumps WAY too strong for a 175 gallon plus 20 ish gallon bog. I would think a 150 - 300 gph pump would be perfectly adequate to circulate water through the bog every hour.

This is the type of basket I put the pump in surrounded by pea gravel so it takes longer before it clogs with leaves and gunk. SOmeone on this site posted that tip.

And this is probably the pumps I would get today for an under 300 gallon pond. I know nothing about the brand, it just happens to be what the closest home improvement store has in stock.

Here is a 330 gph pump for 60$ that comes with an extra aeration spray if you want to add it.

And here is a similar sized pump that comes with it's own prefilter basket for 100$ I do have one of these baskets on my waterfall pump. This could be instead of the pea gravel basket I mentioned above. An advantage to this box is that if the bog was overflowing, the pump can not pull lower than this box so there would be enough water to keep fish alive if bog sprung a leak or overflowed.

A similar sized pump is available without the aeration spray or filter box for about 40$. This may be the one I get today for my new bog.

Now that I see your pond pic, I might use a simple "window box" type planter diagonal on one of your corners, with one or 2 rows of bog piping. I would cut a little overflow area so it waterfalled back into your pond.
That’s the thing I have no idea in my mind on how to do the piping or how to install this planter on my pond. I would love to tho .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would love to see the whole piping process with diagram if possible , I have my mind set on doing the whole planter box thing but never worked with pvc before, also where exactly to open the holes for the in and out flow

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What you want to do is cut slits across the pvc pipes you have there instead of drilling holes they won't clog as easy. here's a link to how i did mine https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/going-for-it-phase-one-12-000-gallon-pond.22563/page-3 you only want to cut 1/3 of the way into the pipe i cut every 6" some cut every 3" . Your fittings will be in the gravel in the bog its ok if they leak there's no need for Teflon tape on your threaded connections. until the fittings come out of the bog then yes use Teflon to seal the threaded joints or use silicone on the threads. when the plumbing will be outside the bog.
Is your bog that plastic tub on the counter? if it is you need to try again those are not a great choice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My wife would have all my round parts cut off if i ever set up in the kitchen and started working like it was my shop OMG i might as well have just slit my own throat

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LMAO This wife uses our kitchen as her main work area! Pond, bees, etc One reason when we redid the kitchen I required a lot of counter space and large.
My wife would have all my round parts cut off if i ever set up in the kitchen and started working like it was my shop OMG i might as well have just slit my own throat

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When i remodeled the kitchen 5 years ago, My wife now wants to move the bed into the kitchen she Loves her kitchen more than me and thats nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lie. i just get the benefits to eating what comes out of there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When i remodeled the kitchen 5 years ago, My wife now wants to move the bed into the kitchen she Loves her kitchen more than me and thats nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lie. i just get the benefits to eating what comes out of there.
ah, GB? Didcha mean to string those words together like that??? :cool:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Go ahead i dare you hit Me and watch her response! she won't even blink .. Hit her counter top or a cabinet and watch the Tasmanian devil come alive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Go ahead i dare you hit Me and watch her response! she won't even blink .. Hit her counter top or a cabinet and watch the Tasmanian devil come alive.
I'd elaborate but I don't want addy to put me in a time out...still, that LAST sentence...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If you opt to make any holes in the tub for pipes to pass through, the best way to go is use bulkhead fittings for a positive seal.

They come in all sizes and two varieties, one with threads in which you screw your pipes into and one that is slip where you glue your pipe into it.

Ask a Question