Bog filter questions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Again, the 2-pump idea will give me more control of each
ONE PUMPWITH BRACHES OF THE PIPING EACH WITH IT'S OWN BALL VALVE CAN CONTROL WATER FLOW AND CIRULATION AS WELL AS TWO PUMPS CAN.

ONE PUMP
LESS ELECTRICAL RUNS .
more complicated plumbing job
easier to maintain possibly cheaper to buy

2 pumps
easier to plumb
easier to have areas circulate
When one pump fails you have time to get a new pump and not a fire drill to replace it. and in todays bull that's a huge plus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, GBBUDD.
Lots to consider, and that's good because I'll have the time-come winter.
I'd like to get this completed, and my "refugee" baby fish in the new pond next spring/summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I use black flex PVC from the submersible pump to the bog. All my plumbing is within the pond/bog so no chance of water loss if there's a leak.

I don't use any valves or have separate branches of pipe feeding different features. My flex PVC goes over the wall between the pond and bog and is mostly covered by rocks. If you wanted different branches with valves, you could do it in the bog before it feeds your bog manifold. It can be hidden with your bog plants.

My pond is about the size of yours. Its maybe 1800 gallons. My bog's surface area is slightly over 30% of the pond's surface area and does an awesome job of keeping the pond water clear.

I have two 10 foot long pieces of 2 inch PVC as my bog manifolds. I cut slits 1/3 through them and spaced the slits an inch and a half apart. They are covered with 12 inches of river stone.

Just to give you some perspective:
I have a 3600 GPH pump feeding the bog. It seems to be the perfect amount of flow for filtration, but maybe not enough for a full flowing waterfall. I don't mind the slower waterfall, but it sounds like you might want a more aggressive waterfall.

Oh, I'm also in PA. I'm in the Poconos.
I leave my bog running all year. I have two air stones which I raise up close to the surface for winter and one deicer positioned near the bog return water.

Good luck with your planning.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hi j.w.

Those guys are awesome. I've never seen any with the really long tails. I've always bought my fish locally. Are these special breeds that I can see online? If so, can you recommend a site? Thanks.
Well if you lived close to Maryland where @addy1 lives they sell those beautiful fish at a place that sells lots of fish in large outdoor ponds. Other than that you would have to just get lucky at your local fish stores or do a search online for them that would ship them to you. I don't know any off hand tho.
Hey I just read you are in PA so not far from Maryland! Get the address from @addy1 and check the place out. Think they are closed in winter so not sure when they open.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If you live in the northeast part of PA, there's a garden center in Windgap, PA called Albanese. He has two big ponds and sells lots of different pond fish and equipment. He definitely sells shubunkin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

Attachments

• 5DDA6B11-F272-4BDC-B224-BBED10A1657C.jpeg
    5DDA6B11-F272-4BDC-B224-BBED10A1657C.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Country
United States
I use black flex PVC from the submersible pump to the bog. All my plumbing is within the pond/bog so no chance of water loss if there's a leak.

I don't use any valves or have separate branches of pipe feeding different features. My flex PVC goes over the wall between the pond and bog and is mostly covered by rocks. If you wanted different branches with valves, you could do it in the bog before it feeds your bog manifold. It can be hidden with your bog plants.

My pond is about the size of yours. Its maybe 1800 gallons. My bog's surface area is slightly over 30% of the pond's surface area and does an awesome job of keeping the pond water clear.

I have two 10 foot long pieces of 2 inch PVC as my bog manifolds. I cut slits 1/3 through them and spaced the slits an inch and a half apart. They are covered with 12 inches of river stone.

Just to give you some perspective:
I have a 3600 GPH pump feeding the bog. It seems to be the perfect amount of flow for filtration, but maybe not enough for a full flowing waterfall. I don't mind the slower waterfall, but it sounds like you might want a more aggressive waterfall.

Oh, I'm also in PA. I'm in the Poconos.
I leave my bog running all year. I have two air stones which I raise up close to the surface for winter and one deicer positioned near the bog return water.

Good luck with your planning.
Hi Poconojoe,

Thanks for your reply. I've been looking at your posts, and you're right. Our ponds are very similar, and we're in the same area of PA. I'm in the Reading area.
This brings up 2 questions (and I may have more). My bog will be about 18 feet higher than the pond. Do you have an idea of what size pump I would need? I'm going to use a DIY skimmer in a bucket to feed the bog.
Number 2 - what height did you make your spillway relative to the water level in your bog? I was thinking not more than an inch or 2 below the 12" water level. Am I close?
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi Poconojoe,

Thanks for your reply. I've been looking at your posts, and you're right. Our ponds are very similar, and we're in the same area of PA. I'm in the Reading area.
This brings up 2 questions (and I may have more). My bog will be about 18 feet higher than the pond. Do you have an idea of what size pump I would need? I'm going to use a DIY skimmer in a bucket to feed the bog.
Number 2 - what height did you make your spillway relative to the water level in your bog? I was thinking not more than an inch or 2 below the 12" water level. Am I close?
Thanks
I couldn't guess what pump you would need if your bog is 18 feet higher than your pond. You would have to choose a pump based on it's head pressure.

My bog water height is probably about 12"-14" above the pond water.

I have my pump on a string suspended above the bottom so it doesn't pick up any debris that may collect down there. The pump is about 2.5 feet below the surface.
My flex PVC from the pump goes over the bog wall. So, my guess is that the pump is pushing the water up about 4 feet.
The only specs I can find on my pump are that it's a Tetra DHP 3600 (debris handling pump) which is 3690 GPH and maximum pumping height of 11.4 feet. Like I said, it seems to be the perfect flow through the bog. As you probably know, you don't want the water to flow too quickly through the bog.

Hope this helps to give you a perspective on what you might need. Obviously you'll need a pump that is more powerful than what have, but at least my situation can give you a sort of benchmark.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks. Your description is very helpful.
I'm going to get an accurate measurement of the head height (I was guesstimating), so I have a better idea of the pump I need.
What about your spillway? Am I close with it being an inch or so below the 12" water height, or should it be right at the water level?
I don't want the bog to drain down or overflow when it's up and running.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
What about your spillway? Am I close with it being an inch or so below the 12" water height, or should it be right at the water level?
I don't want the bog to drain down or overflow when it's up and running.

Thanks again.
I'm not sure what your question is.
Bog water height?
I'll try...
My bog has 12" of river stone. The top of the spillway is pretty much level with the top of the bog river stone which keeps the water level of the bog even with the top of the river stone.
I have, however, experimented with the flat stones that are stacked on the spillway. By adding more flat stones it increases the height of the water in the bog. This would be obvious, but thought I'd mention that you can somewhat control the water height of the bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@ChrisK: Maybe I misunderstand your question, but your spillway sets your water level. Water is always level. Wherever elevation you set the spillway at, that’s where your water level will be.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure what your question is.
Bog water height?
I'll try...
My bog has 12" of river stone. The top of the spillway is pretty much level with the top of the bog river stone which keeps the water level of the bog even with the top of the river stone.
I have, however, experimented with the flat stones that are stacked on the spillway. By adding more flat stones it increases the height of the water in the bog. This would be obvious, but thought I'd mention that you can somewhat control the water height of the bog.
Perfect! That's exactly what I was looking for-Thanks again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
which is 3690 GPH and maximum pumping height of 11.4 feet.
A 3600 gph pump when it is pushing it's max head the flow rate drops drastically.

To go along with the 18 feet in vertical height you will also have to add how far the bog is lineal distance from your dyi skimmer and also the amount of elbows ect, in order to accurately determine your head pressure.

Just a gut feeling i would lean toward trying to get the bog down a bit in height. While there are pumps that can handle 18 feet without issue . the problem is the cost of the pump and the amount of energy needed. But what your looking for is a high head pump.

Ask a Question