Bog filter questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, I'm in progress of building a bog too. Pond's about 13x18x3 deep, bog under construction around 5x12x1 foot deep. Couple of things I thought I'd throw out there....
If you have a protrusion in the base of your bog if it extends out and affects plumbing,

be mindful of gravity and how that will impact water flow and how crud will collect in low spots of the bog.

Also, if $$ is much of a consideration, solid sch 40 PVC is much cheaper and glues right on your flex PVC. also, I believe you add 1 foot of head for each 10 ft length of pipe, and add 1 ft of head for each 45° bend (or 2qty 30° bends) even if they're positioned in your bog, it's still resistance your pump has to overcome to pump.
Thanks for the help, Oh pond.
Yes, inside the bog is all rigid PVC fed by 2" flexible I appreciate the input on the bends, and pipe lengths inside the bog.
This will really influence my pump purchase. More flow is WAY better than not enough. I can always valve down the flow if it's too fast.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'll add that you can use wide (schedule 40 pvc) sweeps instead of using standard 90's and 45's. They will allow for a little bit of less resistance for your pump.
I RECOMEND USING NOTHING BUT SWEEPS/ OR STREET 90'S and 45's as they also have a deeper seat don't be affraid to even use 22.5's

a third option is what's called a vacuum breaker. My choice of the three they run from 10 bucks to hundreds i use the 30 dollar unit i believe it is from the depot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the help, Oh pond.
Yes, inside the bog is all rigid PVC fed by 2" flexible I appreciate the input on the bends, and pipe lengths inside the bog.
This will really influence my pump purchase. More flow is WAY better than not enough. I can always valve down the flow if it's too fast.
Yes a ball valve is definitely advisable. and more is not always better not with bogs you don't want to push to much water through slower is better in this case

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'll add that you can use wide (schedule 40 pvc) sweeps instead of using standard 90's and 45's. They will allow for a little bit of less resistance for your pump.
I RECOMEND USING NOTHING BUT SWEEPS/ OR STREET 90'S and 45's as they also have a deeper seat don't be afraid to even use 22.5's

a third option is what's called a vacuum breaker

Ask a Question