Bog plumbing (pool to pond)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
What you probably don't realize is if you use an external pump they are terrible at pulling water ie the intake line. So much so if your pump is even a foot higher than the water source , there's a good chance it won't work at all. And submersible pumps can be tricky to convert to a pipe inlet source.

I see. Didn't realize that. Then suction side of the pump would still follow the low pressure green column.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no, pumps just push water well , they are not good at self priming unless they are designed to do so. flow rates are the same on both sides of the pump.
you can spend the money for self priming but the get expensive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
Can anyone please help to answer how much weight the 4'' concrete slab of pool deck can safely withstand? I'm looking at the description from the original build: "pool decking, broom finish w/(acid stain)color + textured, colored stamped bands, all to include crushed rock base + stealth fibermesh; +with cantilever edge".
From google: "Generally, a 4-inch surface can hold up to 4,000 pounds per square foot when adequately reinforced. Unreinforced, it can only hold 40 pounds per square foot". I wonder if the 4-inch concrete slab I have can safely hold a pea gravel bog (~18'' gravels about 150lb per square foot).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There's many factors that come into play how old is the concrete,was it done correctly , is the base well compacted on at least ab type soil. Your obviously trying to do your home work.

Imo you should be fine. Water washing out the edge is your enemy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
There's many factors that come into play how old is the concrete,was it done correctly , is the base well compacted on at least ab type soil. Your obviously trying to do your home work.

Imo you should be fine. Water washing out the edge is your enemy
Thank you! It's been 18 years. I think it's done 70% correctly (no crack so far). Our soil here is 80% rocks + 20% clay.
Do you mean the rain water washing out the edge? We have little rain here.
I will play safe by putting the bog 1ft away from the edge.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Distance from the water run off won't help much as it flows to the lowest spot. But if you have the bog a couple feet from the edge that's more than enough. How big is this area ,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
Distance from the water run off won't help much as it flows to the lowest spot. But if you have the bog a couple feet from the edge that's more than enough. How big is this area ,
It's a U shape, with the width varying from 6ft then to 10ft then to 6ft. The inner diameter about 18'. Total area maybe about 200 sqft. I plan to put 2-3 small bogs, each about 30 sqft.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
sorry for the late reply:

PXL_20230603_165129831 - Copy.jpg
PXL_20230603_165116135 - Copy.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
definitely a greek flair are you thinking about retaining wall block or boulders ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
definitely a greek flair are you thinking about retaining wall block or boulders ?

No, I will use 300gallon containers. I thought about building the frame using 6''x6'' post, but for a not handy person buying a container is easier.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
don't be so sure about that. Building a raised bog and line it can actually be quite easy. Those plastic containers making them spill back into a stream pond etc is not as easy as people think.

And where your doing this in a manicured pool area the looks of a raised wood or even concrete retaining block wall wins hands down in appearance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
don't be so sure about that. Building a raised bog and line it can actually be quite easy. Those plastic containers making them spill back into a stream pond etc is not as easy as people think.

And where your doing this in a manicured pool area the looks of a raised wood or even concrete retaining block wall wins hands down in appearance

I agree the looks would be better with raised wood. Problem is I'm not confident with my construction skills and I worry that one day I wake up to a pile of lumbers and gravels by the pool/pond 😅
In addition, I plan to use 2 small pumps (4500GPH each), so plumbing seems easy with two containers (one for each). But if building one big wood frame, not sure how it would work (Y connect two pump outlets?).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
4500 Gallons an hour for a 300 gallon tub bog is way to much water for that size 2 k max

They have screws today that almost anyone can drive with a cordless dril these will make landscape ties building too easy. Watching youtube on how to build raised koi pond videos and almost anyone can do it.. hard part is hauling in all the stone

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
4500 Gallons an hour for a 300 gallon tub bog is way to much water for that size 2 k max

They have screws today that almost anyone can drive with a cordless dril these will make landscape ties building too easy. Watching youtube on how to build raised koi pond videos and almost anyone can do it.. hard part is hauling in all the stone

Then I'll have to split the pump outlet pipe if using 300 gallon tubs.

I can only build rectangle wooden box, and because of the U-shape of the deck, the size can be only up to 6'x8'x2' ~about 720 gallons. Thought it's more convenient to use 2 tubs instead. Is redwood construction heart 6''x6'' ok to use? I don't want to use pressure treated (chemicals leaking into the pond during raining season).

Regarding big bogs and small bogs: is it right to think that smaller bogs are easier to maintain? I do lots of vegi gardening, so for sure I will fill the bog with plants. Imaging that if the plants in the middle need pruning, with smaller bogs, I can easily reach the plants, while for big bogs, I'll have to get inside/on top.

Ask a Question