Bog filter - free water, or stones above water level?

Reaction score
What do people do with their bogs, have the stones above the water level, so no freestanding water, or stop the stones just below the water level?

Up to now I've done the latter, where the gravel/shingle stopped just below the water line, leaving a small volume of open water. I did this as it looked aesthically pleasing, and I'd hoped it be beneficial to wildlife. But this year, it just gets overwhelmed with algae. So I've topped up the shingle such that there is no standing water (well it was never "standing" as its always flowing slowly).

Also, something overnight had completely decimated my dark red plants (Lobelia Cardinalis). So thinking maybe was water snails, so without this free water they'll retreat to the main pond and maybe the lobelia will come back.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog has above gravel water, at gravel water and lower then gravel water. A combo. I keep a area open for the water to flow, like a stream, back to the water fall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You may also find your cardinal flower won't appreciate being completely underwater. Like @addy1 I have areas that are both above and below and it changes from time to time as I move things around, clean things out, etc. It's really not important to the function of the bog - just a personal choice.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What do people do with their bogs, have the stones above the water level, so no freestanding water, or stop the stones just below the water level?

Around the edge of my bog, the gravel is up above the water level. That's where I plant most of my plants. The gravel slopes down so most of my bog has about a half inch to an inch of water above the gravel for birds and frogs to use.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have plant zones from 30 inches deep to 6 inches above water level.
30 to 12 inches lilly , pickeril weed, iris, watercress,
6 inches below to the water line iris, cardinal lobellis, pickeril weed, forget me nots, night Lillie's " a favorite,"rushes of all types, Black taro, purple gamecock, watercress, monkey fist, creeping Jenny, pitcher plants " another favorite" and some native stuff that I have no idea what they are.impatience, purple lustrife, African Violette. "Love it but very nvasive "

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I’m just in the process of changing mine from the gravel stopping below the water and an inch or two of water to gravel above waterline because is seen it written somewhere recently that it’s the only way to force the water through the gravel properly. After reading these answers I may do a hybrid. I especially like the idea of having it slope back as I really enjoyed watching the birds visit for a bath and I thought the gravel above waterline was going to put an end to that….

While I’m here I have a question, what is everyone’s recommendation for sealing epdm liners together? I’ve always preferred no seems but my bog has developed a leak (hence the rebuild) but I can’t locate where it’s losing water even though I’ve found the level where it stops losing water. I’ve got extra liner lying around so I think I’m going to just re line the whole bog and be done with it. I have enough to have a flap of liner go over the dividing wall between the main pond and the bog but I want to bond it so no water can work it’s way back under the new liner. Any thoughts? There is quite a bit of hard water line or dried scum on the old liner. Does that have to be completely removed to get whatever glue/sealant to work. If so what’s the best way to get rid of it? Ok, ok, I know that was more like three questions in one but you’ve got to admit they fit “seamlessly” together (sorry, I couldn’t resist,😉

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
completely removed
YES
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW PLUS SOME IN SEEMING EPDM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
to gravel above waterline because is seen it written somewhere recently that it’s the only way to force the water through the gravel properly.

That makes zero sense. This is what I love about the internet - anybody can write just any old thing and it becomes pond gospel. How on earth would water above the gravel change what's happening from the bottom up? Goodness gracious.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Water above the gravel within the bog is great for plants that love to be in the water pikeril weed/ cat tails, papyrus, even lotus if deep enough, monkey fist , iris , forget me nots many many more.

raise the gravel above the water and only plants that like their feet wet will do well

make it right at and the mosquitos will love it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
That makes zero sense. This is what I love about the internet - anybody can write just any old thing and it becomes pond gospel. How on earth would water above the gravel change what's happening from the bottom up? Goodness gracious.
That was my thinking too. I figured as long as the water has come up through the gravel its job was done but I did see a couple places where people were saying to have the gravel above the water line. I’m glad you confirmed my suspicions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
moving water or no water at all
Well right now I just sat down from refilling the bog with gravel and it’s level with the water, well the gravel is just peaking up above the waterline. But any plants I put in will be completely wet. I think I’ll just leave it there for now. Any thoughts on the pond bottom. I’ve always just had the bare liner because I thought it would make cleaning easier but I’m wondering what other people do, like pea gravel? Or River stone? Or even sand? I feel like they would all be problems

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The bigger the waste/ poop GENERATOR they are the more i lean toward no gravel but i have gravel with my 15 or so 15" + koi

Gold fish or cichlids etc i would do rock hands down

Ask a Question