Bog plumbing (pool to pond)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
leaking into the pond during raining season).
your pool unless built very poorly will not have any runoff getting into the pond so the runoff from leaching wood is not a concern. Redwood is not a structural lumber , at least that i am aware off i'm sure it can be used to a certain size i just don't know what that would be but if i had to guess 6x6 heart meaning the center of the tree a harder old growth i would imagine they could hold a 6 x8 x 3 foot without any issue especially if you secure them together more often. and there's no doubt it will look very nice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
your pool unless built very poorly will not have any runoff getting into the pond so the runoff from leaching wood is not a concern. Redwood is not a structural lumber , at least that i am aware off i'm sure it can be used to a certain size i just don't know what that would be but if i had to guess 6x6 heart meaning the center of the tree a harder old growth i would imagine they could hold a 6 x8 x 3 foot without any issue especially if you secure them together more often. and there's no doubt it will look very nice

Thank you. I wonder how the water run off to the pond. When I build the wood frame, in the last layer of 6''x6'', instead of one 8' piece, I use one 3' and one 4' and leave the middle 1' for overflow? Will the water directly shoot into the pond, or will I need to build some stairs with sides and lay the liner for the water to flow on top. The later means I'll need to leave some distance between the bog and the pond edge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
I'm building the 6'x10' bog now. Pump would be ~4400GPH.
Question on the last layer: out of the 10ft width, how much width should I leave for the waterfall?
PXL_20230803_192159681.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
for 4000gph not 10 feet not unless your opening is absolutely level. But here's a couple questions. is the liner going from the pool edge run to the bog then run up the bog wall . then a second liner runs into the bog and across the bottom then up the back wall?

how are you going to hide the liner over pool deck and bog wall?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm building the 6'x10' bog now. Pump would be ~4400GPH.
Question on the last layer: out of the 10ft width, how much width should I leave for the waterfall?View attachment 159630
for 4000gph not 10 feet not unless your opening is absolutely level. But here's a couple questions. is the liner going from the pool edge run to the bog then run up the bog wall . then a second liner runs into the bog and across the bottom then up the back wall?

i like more robust falls so i would say 6 feet with a rock in the middle that's high and dry but water sheets from both sides of that same rock

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States

I was thinking about one piece of liner, but maybe it's better to two liners, one goes from the bog wall and drop into the pool, the other covers the bog inside. Between the pool and the bog wall, I was going to put some wood stairs with raised edges.

i like more robust falls so i would say 6 feet with a rock in the middle that's high and dry but water sheets from both sides of that same rock
Do you mean to leave a 6 feet opening, put a rock in the middle, and water falls from both sides?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not following the stairs.

i'd entertain if not boulders to hide it then maybe a planter on each side with some boulders and a stream in the middle but if it is not a step down stream then i would have to put a small pond at the base of the falls and then have it drop into the pool

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
Not following the stairs.

i'd entertain if not boulders to hide it then maybe a planter on each side with some boulders and a stream in the middle but if it is not a step down stream then i would have to put a small pond at the base of the falls and then have it drop into the pool
There is not much space at the base of the falls. I think I will make it a step down stream. Sorry for my terrible drawing, this is what I plan to do: a staircase like structure for support, with the sides high enough so water do not get out.
Do you think 6ft would be a good width?

PXL_20230803_192159681 - Copy.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Go to you tube 4000 gph is not a lot of water for a waterfall. But you can make it look like more than it is. The weird on contemporary ponds like your self if the spill way if perfectly pitched and level you can spread 4000 gph over a wider distance however if it is allowed to gather into one area as it creates a waterfall the less in width you'll have inorder to make an impressive waterfall imo.
Now there's is something to be said for a trickle of water dropping . Low energy costs and a low volume from the falls.
I prefer a more robust waterfall but that's me I have a solid 10000 would be my guess dropping ove r a 4 foot wide waterfall.

Go to you tube and search 5 pumps display how to pick the right one you'll see there it's not as much water as you may think.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ah I get your stairs now. I could not see the black lines you drew without zooming in on the phone. And no I would watch tons of you tube videos building waterfalls and streams. Stack up rocks as that against the redwood will look very nice.
Also it looks like you lag bolted the timbers together which is good but between them I would have used 8 inch screws just to help lock everything together but that's me I build to last . And I Hate trying to remove my work it's solid.
But back to your design . Do you have access from the street where it's flat and say 4 feet wide? You could use a landscaping dolly for boulders and trees. To haul in some 2 and 3 or 4 man rocks . And that's where the you tube videos would come in on how to build I th8nk I'd build short little planters on the side where you'll have the tallest drops these can be made as a easy way to hide the liner AND you can use them to get height with smaller rocks .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
Ah I get your stairs now. I could not see the black lines you drew without zooming in on the phone. And no I would watch tons of you tube videos building waterfalls and streams. Stack up rocks as that against the redwood will look very nice.
Also it looks like you lag bolted the timbers together which is good but between them I would have used 8 inch screws just to help lock everything together but that's me I build to last . And I Hate trying to remove my work it's solid.
But back to your design . Do you have access from the street where it's flat and say 4 feet wide? You could use a landscaping dolly for boulders and trees. To haul in some 2 and 3 or 4 man rocks . And that's where the you tube videos would come in on how to build I th8nk I'd build short little planters on the side where you'll have the tallest drops these can be made as a easy way to hide the liner AND you can use them to get height with smaller rocks .

Wow, you could see from the pictures that the lag screws I used were not 8''? You are right, I used 6''. 8'' would have been better. I used 2' rebar in the 4 corners though.

For the 6'x10' bog, I'll use multiple 9' PVC. Should I keep them 18'' or 2' apart? if 2' apart, will there be 3 rows or 4 rows? Sorry for asking silly questions.

I'll do slits down, every 6in or 8in? My circular saw blade is thin kerf, do I need to get full kerf blade?

Fill 1'' of 3/4'' gravel, then PVC, then 3'' of 3/4'', then 16'' of 3/8''. Does this look ok?

May I ask what is the tape that you used to bundle the PVCs together when cutting the slits?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For the 6'x10' bog, I'll use multiple 9' PVC. Should I keep them 18'' or 2' apart? if 2' apart, will there be 3 rows or 4 rows? Sorry for asking silly questions. `I would go 18 so you only have 9 inches between the pipes, so from center of pipe to wall is 9" AND 18 inches between the pipes also giving 9 inches between the pipes to where the water from the othert pipe also traveled only 9 inches

I'll do slits down, every 6in or 8in? { WHATS YOUR GPH } 6 would be my choice . My circular saw blade is thin kerf, do I need to get full kerf blade? i 'd double cut them using a circular saw so you have 1/8 inch wide cuts . or you could use a chop saw and limit how deep it can cut they all have a depth stop that i'm aware of. but even when taped which is one of your questions i used gorilla tape they can still move if your not very careful if you did two at a time it would be safer. like i said i've built things my whole life.

Fill 1'' of 3/4'' gravel, then PVC, then 3'' of 3/4'', then 16'' of 3/8''. Does this look ok? i'd start with 4" of 2 to 3 inch rock so the water can flow easily across the bottom then do a 3/4 I DIDN'T use too much 3/8 but others have with good luck

May I ask what is the tape that you used to bundle the PVCs together when cutting the slits? gorilla tape

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you! It's been 18 years. I think it's done 70% correctly (no crack so far). Our soil here is 80% rocks + 20% clay.
Do you mean the rain water washing out the edge? We have little rain here.
I will play safe by putting the bog 1ft away from the edge.
wonder if they will be saying not much rain after this week

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
Sorry for my poor drawing. Is my understanding of the PVC manifold correct? There will be 3 Ts and 6 sweep elbows.
6x10.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
The GPH is 4500. Is 6'' good as the distance between slits?

Since the slits are facing down, I thought there need to be some rocks under the PVC before the bog bottom. I'll lay 2in of 2-3 in rocks, then PVC, then another 2in of 2-3in rocks. Followed by 16in of 3/4. Sounds good?

BTW, by "cutting 1/3rd of the way" of the 2'' PVC, what depth should I set the circular saw? O.D. is 2.375'' and I.D. is 2.047'', should I set the depth to 1/3 of which?

Ask a Question