Bog plants and deer?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,
I just got my bog/pond up and running (first season), and I am encountering some problems with deer eating the bog plants. they eat all of the new shoots as they emerge. For the future, can anyone steer me towards plants that are deer resistant? There's no feasible way for me to fence them out of the bog area. I figure that for this first year, I'll just keep putting the plants back in the gravel as they uproot them. The ones that they seem to like most are Marsh marigolds, Canna lilies, and Lobelia. They stay away from some Rushes and creeping Jenny that I have in there.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have deer in my bog snacking quite often. The plants outgrown the eating. Maybe a small removable barrier around some of the snack favorite plants until they get bigger and start expanding.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would try to keep them out long enough for the plants to get going. Often deer will love a young plant - tomatoes for example - but once the plant matures they have no interest. Maybe even some bamboo stakes in and around the bog to make it more difficult for them to walk up to the "snack bar" might work.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ladies-thank you, both. Good ideas. You have the experience that I will gain over time-hopefully.
This being the first year, I'm willing to sacrifice some plants to the deer as I learn. They've eaten virtually every flower my wife planted.
One thing I will say that I've seen already is that I NEVER had water this clear in my previous pond with mechanical filtration.
It's unreal that I can see clearly to the bottom of the deep part (3' +). Makes it much more enjoyable to watch the fish. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'll send you a questioner for google make sure to like and subscribe......... The 300 dollar service fee's will expected by the end of the month........

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our resident bog snacker was in the bog this am. First a good long drink in the small ponds, then breakfast. She ignored me watering plants on the deck.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sling shot one rump shot and they move on

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Two rump shots and I haven't seen the ground hog in a while.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great information, All. I may have to buy a slingshot, but theses deer were here before me, so I may have a hard time making them leave "THEIR" backyard/cafeteria.
Another plant question if you don't mind. I bought 2 hardy water lilies from a fish farm in PA. Since I live here, I figured they would be a good fit. I planted them in 1 gallon plastic buckets using the recommended clay/dirt mix, and put 2 food tabs in each.
They both had active pads growing when I put them into the pond (about 12" deep). Thought I did everything correctly, but I have seen no new growth at all, and the fish have slowly eaten the growth that was on them. They get about 6 hours of afternoon sun.
Can anybody help me with suggestions of what I can do to stimulate growth? Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like the type of lily you have the koi like to eat . There's no hope. Imo
But if you put rocks larger than they can move you may give the plant the advantage

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks GBBUDD,
I've moved them up closer to the surface and will follow your suggestion of larger rocks.
I don't have any Koi (just Shubunkins & goldfish), so I won't need real big rocks. They've still been eating them though, so hoping for this to solve the issue.
thanks again.

Ask a Question