Bog plumbing (pool to pond)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The GPH is 4500. Is 6'' good as the distance between slits?

Since the slits are facing down, I thought there need to be some rocks under the PVC before the bog bottom. I'll lay 2in of 2-3 in rocks, then PVC, then another 2in of 2-3in rocks. Followed by 16in of 3/4. Sounds good?

BTW, by "cutting 1/3rd of the way" of the 2'' PVC, what depth should I set the circular saw? O.D. is 2.375'' and I.D. is 2.047'', should I set the depth to 1/3 of which?
Your design is very similar to what I am building for my bog. I have three manifold pipes rather than 4. You will quickly realize there is no exact science to this. Every one has different opinions on the design. You have the basic concept which is the most important thing. After looking at several posts I went with slits every 3 inches, seemed to be the midway point for most discussions. Some said 6 inches and some said 1.5 inches. As to the depth of the slits, tenths of an inch again is not going to make a difference, the 1/3 is used because that will give room for the water to move out and not get blocked. Some put rocks under the pipes and some do not, I did not and went with slits down using 3/8 gravel, others swear by slits up. There are no scientific studies to point to saying one way is better than another, too many variables. If you have a hundred koi then no amount of slits and gravel is going to help you. But if you are reasonable with the fish load and have lots of plants then you are going to be in good shape. The sticky note in this forum for bog building is a great resource.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The GPH is 4500. Is 6'' good as the distance between slits?

Since the slits are facing down, I thought there need to be some rocks under the PVC before the bog bottom. I'll lay 2in of 2-3 in rocks, then PVC, then another 2in of 2-3in rocks. Followed by 16in of 3/4. Sounds good?

BTW, by "cutting 1/3rd of the way" of the 2'' PVC, what depth should I set the circular saw? O.D. is 2.375'' and I.D. is 2.047'', should I set the depth to 1/3 of which?
It's not that critical that a 1/4 0f an inch matters that much. If you have a full 1/8 inch cut wide then you want to have all the cuts equal the size of the out feed from the pump in your case 2 inch so. 1/8 inch cut x 16 is the minimum that I feel you must have now because there will be resistance from some rocks I'd double or triple that number and with 4 pipes 9 feet long every 6 inches will clearly not restrict the flow. Or make it like a jet pushing out the water. We want it to slowly get displaced through the bog. And it would appear you will have that met.
To answer the cut depth I'd set the cut so you cut from the point of round on the pipe 1 inch into the pipe by (1/8 inch wide min) The main issue with cut depth if you go deeper the pipe will become fragile and break. . I would get something under the pipe even if it's scrap liner you don't want to have a weak spot and have the rubber blown at by water constantly for the next 30 years

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are no scientific studies to point to saying one way is better than another, too many variables. If you have a hundred koi then no amount of slits and gravel is going to help you.
You got it. We are trying to provide a work station for bacteria, microbes, insects, worms, Beatles you name it. So they have an optimum area to grow and thus do what they do . Which is to clean the water. 1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your design is very similar to what I am building for my bog. I have three manifold pipes rather than 4. You will quickly realize there is no exact science to this. Every one has different opinions on the design. You have the basic concept which is the most important thing. After looking at several posts I went with slits every 3 inches, seemed to be the midway point for most discussions. Some said 6 inches and some said 1.5 inches. As to the depth of the slits, tenths of an inch again is not going to make a difference, the 1/3 is used because that will give room for the water to move out and not get blocked. Some put rocks under the pipes and some do not, I did not and went with slits down using 3/8 gravel, others swear by slits up. There are no scientific studies to point to saying one way is better than another, too many variables. If you have a hundred koi then no amount of slits and gravel is going to help you. But if you are reasonable with the fish load and have lots of plants then you are going to be in good shape. The sticky note in this forum for bog building is a great resource.
Forgot to mention you may want to look at putting a breather valve in where the pipe comes into the bog. It acts as a siphon break in case the power goes out. Ozponds has a good youtube video of that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
Forgot to mention you may want to look at putting a breather valve in where the pipe comes into the bog. It acts as a siphon break in case the power goes out. Ozponds has a good youtube video of that.
Thank you. I was going to drill a small hole in the pipe facing down to act as a siphon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
Another silly question: I read to use sweep elbows other than 90 degree elbow to reduce the friction, but the sweep elbows I found at homedepot are all for DWV and no psi intended. Only the 90 degree elbows are. Is the bog a pressured water usage and better to use sweep or 90 degree?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Another silly question: I read to use sweep elbows other than 90 degree elbow to reduce the friction, but the sweep elbows I found at homedepot are all for DWV and no psi intended. Only the 90 degree elbows are. Is the bog a pressured water usage and better to use sweep or 90 degree?
I have had better luck online getting the fittings rather than HD and Lowes. I did not shop at this online store but here is a link for I think what you are looking for: https://pvcpipesupplies.com/2-pvc-schedule-40-sweep-90-elbow-socket-406-020s.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you. I was going to drill a small hole in the pipe facing down to act as a siphon.
a SIPHON BREAK but for my money i prefer using a vacuum breaker that you can get at the depot there like 20 bucks and are the reverse of a check valve

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thos fittings are fine for the bog plumbing but for elbows outside the liner and used to put flex pipe together you do want pressure fittings as they have a longer throat to secure the flex pipe together

Ask a Question