bog, trickle tower, best and/or both?

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I started with a skippy filter. It was easy to build and I did nothing to maintain it. I did zero maintenance on it. Around fall time I installed a flush valve. It was easy to winter, just open the flush valve and cover it.

This year after I rebuilt my pond a decided to add a bog. It was difficult to place since the fence was already put up so it was built above ground. I just built it this past weekend and and my water is back to clear again after having to clean almost 3000 lbs of pea gravel. I'm impressed with how fast it cleared up.

As far as trying to keep the water separated from the pond and trying to quarantine the bog if something goes wrong. I think by the time you notice it, the pond would have the same issue as the bog so why not treat both at the time.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
As far as trying to keep the water separated from the pond and trying to quarantine the bog if something goes wrong. I think by the time you notice it, the pond would have the same issue as the bog so why not treat both at the time.
True.

I would just rather have options, such as easily keeping the bog and the flowing out water seperated if I wanted, if for any reason it is recommended where plants and their accompanying resevoir are easier to treat with one particular methodology versus entire pond with fish. It gives me an option. I like options. :)

Reaction score
Bogs are twice as good as anything which is why in Spain they're called "dos quuis"

The water coming from bogs smells like cologne.

At night bogs teach the other filters connected to the pond how to work better.

It is said Atlantis isn't lost, it moved to the bottom of a bog for the clear water.

They give guardian angels a sense of security.

Bogs never have a computer crash.

Bogs have never lost a sock in the wash, because the water is so clean their socks never get dirty.

Bogs have won the lifetime achievement award...twice.

If a bog ever didn't produce water cleaner than distilled water, you'd still have to fight off the urge to thank it.

Sharks have a week dedicated to bogs.

Bogs are so compelling they can demagnetize credit cards, but they chose not to.

Even enemies of bogs use them.

Bogs produce DOCs, but only so they can immediately remove them.

A bog once didn't clear a pond, just to see how it would feel.

Even Faisal Khan says good things about bogs.

Mosquitoes refuse to lay eggs in bogs because the water is too clean.

You should add liquid fertilizer to ponds filtered by a bog, just to even the odds.

The Loch Ness Monster thinks bogs are a myth.

Bogs build themselves.

Horses lead to water filtered by a bog will drink.

Water form a bog make weeping willows laugh.

Jesus had a little trouble walking on water from a bog.

Roses will bloom near a bog, but they don't smell as good.

Martha Stewart asks bogs for cleaning advice.

A bog once beat Gary Kasparov at Chess.

Bogs are the reason the Virgin Islands are called the Virgin Islands.

The pheromones bogs secrete effect people miles away… in a slight, but measurable way.

Bogs vaporize fish poo while still in the fish's colon.

Bogs are always on the right side of the tracks.

Even the blind can see water from bogs is unbelievably clear.

Fish jump out of the pond to breathe, just out of respect.

If a bog sent money to a Nigerian scammer it would get even more money back.

Clear Channel Communications, Inc has to pay bogs a royalty just to be able to use the word "Clear".

If you spelled bog wrong it would still be right.

Dolphins often appear in ponds filtered by bogs.

Bogs are the most interesting filter in the world.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Waterbug, sounds like you really like bogs a lot ......................think we should start calling you waterbog
giggle.gif

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Waterbug, sounds like you really like bogs a lot ......................think we should start calling you waterbog
giggle.gif
LOL Add that one to the list too !!! :razz:

WB, ya had to have found that from somewhere. I'm sorry, but that is a funny list. I suppose ya could actually replace "bog", in that list, with any type of filter; applies even better to bogs since nobody really knows what the hell is going on except that it makes good cologne! "Bogs have won the lifetime achievement award...twice." Good stuff man. :LOL:

Reminds of that "most interesting man in the world" Dos Equis commercials ... i'll drink to that :0000000057:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Haha, a rendition of the Chris Farley's "matt foley motivational speaker" SNL skit ...

If you keep up these wise cracks about bogs, then you will end up living in a van down by the bog :LOL:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ode to Waterbog----------Down by the bog (borrowed from crsublette)
frog-divider.gif

He lives in a bog under a log

Hiding his head in a great fog

They say a big frog

Made him drink grog

Now he lies like a dog

With a bump on his nog

No more do we hear any tales from the bog
frogparking.jpg
froghaha2.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With the flow though my bog a parasite would be everywhere. Never had to deal with that with any of my ponds.
The bacteria is aerobic, there is plenty of flow though it bringing o2. When I turned it on for spring there was no yuck smell coming from the water out of the bog indicating an issue. Just smelled like pond water.

birds frogs poop in the bog and pond, so do numerous bugs, not concerned with their poop...................now if a person was pooping in my bog i would worry!

Glad wb is finally admiting his love affair with bogs!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ya won't smell the hydrogen sulfide until the anaerobic bacteria is dislodged. I know for a fact there is anaerobic bacteria is in cracks and underneath my rock bottom, but i never smelled anything of it when my water feature was full of water.

Bottoms of ponds have the least O2 saturated water and more CO2. If this is the water being pushed up and through the bottom of a bog with no introduction of extra O2 along the way then ya are putting water that is not well oxygenated into the bog.

With how water can move around, creating its own underground streams and reservoirs, even if the top of the bog is evenly wet, this doesn't mean the same underneath the surface.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sigh, so i have anaerobic bacteria, channeling, lousy o2 saturation...............but it works

The bog is not just evenly wet, I can also see the water coming up and out of the pea gravel, now I am not saying I can verify it is every inch, but you can see the water flowing up and out, and yes I understand it can be channeling down deep.

I will go stir up some of the gravel see if it stinks, stir up down deep, I know the top layer, at least 1.5 feet down does not stink, I just yanked out some rush, that is how far the roots went down.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Quit fooling yourself Addy... Your water is bad, your fish are unhappy and your plants are dyeing... You really need to come to grips with this LOL :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Quit fooling yourself Addy... Your water is bad, your fish are unhappy and your plants are dyeing... You really need to come to grips with this LOL :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

lmao pecan, yep I have my head buried in the sand, make my honey scoop out all the dead and dying critters..........

Maybe you could add a venturi in your bog pipe if you wanted more O2.

I could tmann, but my w lim pump is not the best primer, right now we have it set so if the power goes off there are no issues. I would not want to introduce air so the pipes could drain back and the pump would not prime. It is working fine as it is, so going to just leave it be for now.

Ask a Question