bog, trickle tower, best and/or both?

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Very funny reading!!!!
I love my bog too! As noted earlier, do what works for you. During my build, we decided to add a bog, and I am so glad that I did. My only regret is that I didn't make it bigger!!!! I am trying to decide how I can talk my hubby into adding another bog next year. :>)

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
I've read and digested many threads of info re bogs and trickle towers. I wonder if one or the other does a better job, or are they about equal in effectiveness? That said, would using both be better than just one or the other? I see a lot of benefit to haviing the oxygen meeting the bio filter for bacterial growth, and wondered if this was an optimum plan versus the underwater nature of a bog.

I built a bog for my pond and haven't had any issues (bar the string algae which I don't think either bog or tt will solve) but was thinking I might also find a way to incorporate a TT, especially if there's a lot of benefit (and I can creatively disguise the beast). I have a lot of plants which should take up the nitrates, so perhaps it's an either or here? Either bog or TT?

I searched, but didn't really find any clear thread relative to this question, so am expecting Addy and WB to be the Ultimate Fighters here (and hope others will chime in too), glaring at each other from opposite corners, their gamefaces fully in view. Heh.

Michael
Try using a soilless bog. We made a bog filter years ago and it actually caused the water to turn green and even toxic to the fish. We were then told we should try using soilless water gardening so we did. We removed the plants from the soil, cleaned off the dirt and then put them into the bog garden. Eventually the irises would stick to the sides and bottom of the bog, the water hyacinths and other plants did very well.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

Ask a Question