Bottom Drains

Reaction score
Hi.

Does anyone have any advice on bottom drains and rocks on the bottom of the pond? I've heard that if using a bottom drain, rocks should not be on the bottom of the pond.

Is it ok to have small gravel or is a smooth bottom best?

Why would this be an issue?

Thanks in advance!!

-Trae

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Rather than repeating my self, here are some very good insightful threads for ya to check out :

Bottom drain, plumbing and pump advice.

Rocks and gravel on pond bottom

Any obstruction will make the bottom drain less effective in accomplishing a pond that is "self cleaning" due to how debris piles will be built and accumulated by the rough bottom. So, the debris will have to be agitated or some other way pushed toward the bottom drain.

In a rock or rough bottom pond, there likely can be a function still found in a bottom drain, but the bottom drain will not be anywhere near as effective as it was orginally designed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Not sure How big your pond is, but you could put river rock on the bottom and maybe raise your bottom drain 1" or 1-1/2" off the pond floor? I personally dont have a bottom drain and don't feel the need for one since my ponds are so small (400 and 500 gallon) and I am very picky with debris in the pond and pull the floating debris when I feed the fish daily. Once every two months i get in my pond and put my filter on backflush and spray the pond floor and edges to stir up any "Muck" if any to get sucked through along with a water change. If your pond is larger then 1,000 gallons I would put in a bottom drain WITHOUT small rocks. If you like the rock bottom look (like I do) just get some large flat slabs for the bottom and maybe prop some of them up so your fish can hide under them too :beerchug:

Reaction score
The pond with the smallest muck problem is a pond with no water. Silly, but true. We add water because we like the look. People add rocks because they like the look. Rocks are as important, maybe more so, than even water. Based on Aquascape style being the most common type of pond by far.

The question imo should be what amount of muck will you consider acceptable. Wildlife Pond owners love the muck. Koi Pond owners absolutely hate even the smallest amount of muck. Most Water Garden owners are kind of indifferent until there's a big problem.

Adding rocks doesn't increase muck. It does effect muck removal choices. For Aquascape style owners draining and power washing a pond once a year is no big deal for most owners because the pond dude does it. For most Water Garden owners it's no big deal because they never clean the pond.

A bottom drain system can certainly be made to work with loose gravel, rocks or whatever as long as you're OK with the amount of trapped muck. Basically what happens is the gaps between rocks, gravel, fill with muck. Once filled the additional waste products will bounce along the surface and into the drain. The amount of trapped muck you're willing to allow can be adjusted by adjusting rock/gravel size and shape, adding more TPR and/or flow, changing the design of a pond to River Flow, round vs rectangular, etc.

An epoxy surfaced round pond is probably the easiest to keep absolutely clean. Basically a settling tank that flushed 24/7. As you change that design the muck removal requirements also change. Adding rock is only one of many factors that effect this.

I like the look of rocks. I fill the gaps between rocks with mortar. Exactly the same look but no muck. The fish loads I keep are fine with that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Personally having a bottom drain with no rocks or gravel just a green carpet of algae looks natural enough gravel I can see getting dragged into the bottom drain so that is a no .
I cant see rocks being a problem just as long as there isnt a build up of detritus around them but bottom drains work best on their own, with everything passing down into your bottom drain then along into your vortex.
We clean ours once a which allows for a partial waterchange at the same time thus keeping the water at itscleanest and best.
Keep a good eye on your water perameters along with this and I cant see you going wrong.

rgrds

Dave

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
A top drain is also known as a skimmer...

koiguy1969, you really have to change that avatar. I wanted to laugh, but your avatar intimidated me into shaking instead. C'mon a big smile please.

Davepratt is the other guy with an unsmiling avatar, I'm gonna have to get him to change that too.
koiguy1969 said:
never had a bottom drain...but i would assume they're more effective than a top drain!
sorry, i had to.

Reaction score
If you want a bottom drain, I'd say no rocks. If you want rocks, I'd get a submersible utility pump that sucks in water from its bottom. I used to use one of those to suck debris from between the rocks until I decided I hated the rocks. Now, no rocks.

Reaction score
dieselplower said:
If you want a bottom drain, I'd say no rocks. If you want rocks, I'd get a submersible utility pump that sucks in water from its bottom. I used to use one of those to suck debris from between the rocks u til I decided I hated the rocks. Now, no rocks.
This I can agree with emphatically.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've had my current pond for 6 years. It had a gravel bottom, but I had it removed this month to keep the pond cleaner I don't have a bottom drain. Kim

Ask a Question