Buck Pond Build

Reaction score
At this point I started to worry about running out of flagstone so I decided to build a bridge. This would free up 6' worth of stone, and definitely allow me to finish without buying anything. Here is a shot with the bridge put in over the small channel at the end.

Attachments

• CIMG1009.JPG
    CIMG1009.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 286
  • CIMG1014.JPG
    CIMG1014.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 260
Reaction score
And now we are caught up to today! This is how I spent my day even though I was sick. I got the liner put into the waterfall, got it waterproofed, and filled with pea gravel.

Attachments

• CIMG1047.JPG
    CIMG1047.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 274
  • CIMG1048.JPG
    CIMG1048.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 307
  • CIMG1051.JPG
    CIMG1051.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 279
Reaction score
And I spent the rest of the day putting my pavers in, putting river rock around it, then pea gravel on top. The edging is really solid and totally removable. I really didn't want to have to mortar it down so this method is a really good compromise.

Attachments

• CIMG1055.JPG
    CIMG1055.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 269
  • CIMG1057.JPG
    CIMG1057.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 275
  • CIMG1059.JPG
    CIMG1059.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 244
Reaction score
Here is a shot of the side of the waterfall. Notice the stream/mini pond. We have a tremendous amount of green jungle frogs and I thought they would appreciate a place of their own. It's about 2 inches deep and has a really slow flow. I think they'll like it really well. I'm going to catch as many frogs from the goldfish pond tonight and move them over here.

Attachments

• CIMG1062.JPG
    CIMG1062.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 210
Reaction score
The first 3 fish I caught to transfer. The yellow one is tiny, 3" maybe, but the other two are closer to 5".

Attachments

• CIMG1069.JPG
    CIMG1069.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 188
Reaction score
And finally after 6 long, backbreaking weeks, it's done and stocked with fish.

Attachments

• CIMG1092.JPG
    CIMG1092.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 204
  • CIMG1098.JPG
    CIMG1098.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 215

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That really looks nice and the bridge looks great too! You look happy there after all that hard work :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Gosh hope you never have problems with your air unit :razz: .I really like how your waterfall comes out from 2 sides and the bridge will now make a great place for the fish to hide .Now what you mean by the liner thing I had to get under mine to install it and when you are in the pond under it ,it can be hard to find your way out and being only 5 feet 2 inches tall it is even harder . Should have thought that one out better straight sided pond 4 1/2 feet deep ,oh well I finally found my way out .I guess if some one was filming it would have won americas funniest home video's .I guess we all have our weird and funny moments in pond building ,maybe there should be a warning on here about things that can go wrong and funny stories while building you pond others could learn from it and get a laugh too .

Reaction score
lol, that's the first think my brother in law said, "Hope your AC lasts..."

It's not that fair, I can make a bridge over to it or take the railing off the deck. Pain in the butt? Of course, but doable.

The dual waterfall is for frogs. The little pool above the pond is about 2" deep and has no fish in it so the frogs can do whatever they want without being bothered. I don't really know what frogs need, but the main pond didn't seem like it was really quite right for frogs so the second pond is all for them. It's a really slow current too so tadpoles might be ok in it without rushing over the edge.

I figured the bridge would be good shade as well until my plants are established. Hopefully knock a degree or two off the water temperature each day.

How hot was it UNDER the liner? Sounds horrible, I'm not claustrophobic, but that sounds really scary to me, glad I was in the fresh air for my install.

Reaction score
Planted grass seed today on my lunch break. Left the sprinkler on when I came back to work. It's a drought here, but I want that grass to grow so I stop kicking clumps of soil into the water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
give the guys snorkle kits and tell them it is an adventure to get to the ac unit :razz: Then say hey I warned you when they see it .I would not dare do that here because we use heat pumps so that outside unit works all year round .I just got all my stuff hooked up and finally have filtered water and everything seems to be working fine so far .I did have 2 small leaks in the connectors but after more work tightening the fittings ,I think I got it .A learning curve I did not ever think i would have to handle .Glad I have all pex piping in my house so much easier to work with .Gosh wish they would make fittings that all work together 1 inch hose from the well to the bladder tank and then down to 3/4 hose out of the bladder tank and then back up to 1 inch connector to the filters and settlement tank and then back down to 3/4 hose then back up to 1 inch connector for the storage tank .Stupid thing is that it says hoses should all be 3/4 inch ,but they make the inlets and outlets 1 inch .Makes no sense to me so must have been a man did that :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: I am keeping my fingers crossed for luck .Started at 7 AM and had to stop to put some more fittings together and double check installation instructions and grab a cup of coffee and now 2:30 so not bad .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bucky, that is wonderful, love how it is tucked in next to your deck, love the dual waterfall. Fantastic job!

Our green frogs, prob the same as yours, like ponds without fish, but they tend to be territorial, i.e. one frog per pond. My one stream pond had 7 at one time, the smaller ponds/collection pools usually have only one frog per pond. The lotus tub has just one green frog, it belongs to him.

It will be fun to see where they settle. You might want to put some plants / wood / rocks in the mini pond for cover for the frogs, they don't like to sit in the open.

Reaction score
I have always had day lilies along he house. There is still 6" between the frog pond and the house so I fully expect day lilies to pop up there in the next couple of weeks. That is more cover than they could hope for, it should totally cover 50%of it giving them a nice high view of the pond and easy access to all the bugs they can eat.

I built a small hut with 3 rocks for them to go into, but from my experience they like to have their bodies fully under and just their nose and eyes sticking out, preferably through a small opening. I need to start inventorying my rocks and see if I can make that happen, it's easy to do in a foot of water, but I'm not quite sure of my game plan in only 2", any rock I drop in there is going to stick out of the water. I'm sure there is a solution just have to find the right rocks to do it.

I love the location as well, it's one of the only corners in my yard and it it was always one of my least favorite places to mow. Now it's a nice graceful curve that my rider can hug right up against, no weed whacking required.

Ask a Question