Buck Pond Build

Reaction score
I think I've finally nailed down the size of my pond. The main triangle is 11x14x4, which if it were square comes out to 4620 gallons. Divide that in half since it's a triangle and you get 2300, which is what I thought the whole pond was using this other tool. Then The far tip is an oval 8x6x3. That gives me another full 1100 gallons so I'm looking at 3400 gallons total. What do you guys think, does my pond look like a 3400 gallon pond? That's a huge volume more than I originally figured, and if it's right, I'd say I can definitely add some butterflies and probably some more regular ones. So how does this math sound?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It looks like it could easily be that size.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I thought it was bigger than what you thought at first but those triangle ones w/ added side ponds are hard to figure!

Reaction score
Water volume was never part of my plan, I just had a certain square footage I wanted to eat up, but I'm glad it's more than 2200 gallons, that means more fish, which is welcome because my koi are really few and far between in this much water, not to mention they hid in flaps of my liner all evening. Talk about boring...

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
nice pond build Buck, I like the bridge and the shape, very unique design. looking at your pond and comparing it to my last house (2500 gallon pond) and this house (8900 gallon pond. I would say your in the ball park with your figure. I would think it's a little more than that but close.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Water volume was never part of my plan, I just had a certain square footage I wanted to eat up, but I'm glad it's more than 2200 gallons, that means more fish, which is welcome because my koi are really few and far between in this much water, not to mention they hid in flaps of my liner all evening. Talk about boring...

They will quit hiding, my goldies hid for a few weeks after being put into the pond. In my deck pond I put some small shubunkins it took them about 3 weeks to decide it was safe to come out and be seen.

Reaction score
Good, because this is the start of day 3 and they are still hiding in the flaps. It looks like they came out and ate though, there was some food on the bottom and it's gone now.

On another note I just got my first test kit and I tested both ponds, all tests were spot on, PH was 7.5 in both and ammonia was either zero or the tiniest sliver up from zero, tough to tell with the color chart. Really glad about that, especially in my first pond makes me a lot more confident about the new pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine took about 3 weeks to get friendly hint if they are koi they love fruit ,watermellon ,strawberries ,and blue berries .I buy the OSI flavored treats at pet mountain and they go nuts over them.Less than 3 dollars a bag and 8 ounces does not seem like much but it goes a long way .Large size ones are cheaper but i buy the smaller nugget size .

Reaction score
Got grass seed planted and straw down, so that's the last major task. I'm waiting on some more plants, but there is a nice shot of my kidney bean planters and the rod I'm going to mount to the underside of the bridge. This should put some lilies on the left and some tall grass on the right. I hope it looks as good as it does in my head. Also a shot of the square planters I'm letting float. I put a tiny bead of black waterfall foam underneather the lip, this keeps them up very nicely, and they hold 1 large hyacinth or 3 small ones. And last but not least my skimmer is in, and doing an amazing job of keeping those silly little seeds off my pond surface. And finally I stuck a bale of barley straw under the little waterfall and hid it under some small rocks. So that's where things stand as of today.

Attachments

• CIMG1124.JPG
    CIMG1124.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 234
  • CIMG1126.JPG
    CIMG1126.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 224
  • CIMG1128.JPG
    CIMG1128.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 259
  • CIMG1129.JPG
    CIMG1129.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 250
  • CIMG1130.JPG
    CIMG1130.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 234
  • CIMG1134.JPG
    CIMG1134.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 236
Reaction score
wow looks great.. really like the bridge, will give even a better viewing of the fish once they come out from the folds :) and quite envious of you having dirt and flagstone.. i had tons of shale and some dirt

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Sissy have you fed your Koi cantalope? I have some of the fruity treats and they love those. Just wondering if they like all fruit?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep cantalope also ,but koi are not good with seeded fruit like raspberries or blackberries and such .They like veggies also .I will throw and couple of small cut up pieces in once in awhile .They love honeydew and besides watermellon that is there favorite .

Ask a Question