Build Up, or Dig Down?

Reaction score
I am i the process of digging my pond and I have a quick question. My pond is 12 foot long at the longest point, an 7 foot wide at the widest. I laid a 16 foot 2x4 across the 12 foot length and I came up a little shy of level. Looks like if I build up the low side about an inch, i'd be good. So my question is........do you guys and gals find it easier/ better to build the low side up, or dig the high side down?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would build it up with mortar to make a hard edge

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Also make sure the high side is slightly higher than the surrounding ground, so you do not get rain run off into it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My up slope side of the pond is actually dug down by 3 feet, the low side built up by 4 feet to make level. I just made sure I took the liner on the up hill side, made a good edge that any run off would run behind the liner. Also put in french drains and sloped the top away from the drop to the pond.

So far all is well and we have had some torrential rains.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
addy1 said:
My up slope side of the pond is actually dug down by 3 feet, the low side built up by 4 feet to make level. I just made sure I took the liner on the up hill side, made a good edge that any run off would run behind the liner. Also put in french drains and sloped the top away from the drop to the pond.

So far all is well and we have had some torrential rains.

I would agree with Addy about putting in french drains if you are on a slope to ensure you don't get water under the liner during heavy rains.

Ask a Question