Building a 8'x10'x5' deep pond into basically solid rock 6" under ground

Reaction score
j.w said:
All I have to say is that you have a lot of perseverance and I sure don't envy you. If I didn't have sandy soil I think I would just have had to build and above ground pond if I really wanted one. But I say good on ya for giving it your all :)
It all looks so very nice now that it's finished
Thanks

Stouty109 said:
How bout a pond update Lets see how its coming this spring.
Not much going on. Haven had much time to keep up with the pond another fish died today so I need to get this it cleaned to insure that it is not all the crud at the bottom causing issues. Probably need to test the water. Poor yellow fish.

sissy said:
great looking pond there avaitor and what are those pretty purple flowers I love them I also see you have 1 of those floating skimmers how is it working out was looking at 1 on ebay
It was working good but could not keep up in fall and things went to sh!t. The flowers are these purple vine climing flowers. Just wait until they come out this year. there are hundreds of buds.

stroppy said:
yes would be nice to see how the pond is now .... we all followed this build i think, never have i seen such rock being moved to make a pond !!! :)

I will be spending more time on here soon. Trying to finish the basement project up as I have a kid on the way in Aug. Should be able to paint next week then lay the floor over the next week, but I need to but somehting to help clean the pond. Currently I am using a cheepo petsmart net tapped to the handle end of a hoe. Doesnt work well.

bigred said:
Looks very nice with all the rock you had to go through.

Thanks

Reaction score
Some pics
P1020564.jpg

P1020565.jpg

P1020566.jpg

P1020567.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
very very nice.....................love the look of your pond. The plants really add to it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
love it and those purple flowers really make everything pop .They look like they glow

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I think this is the first time I have seen the finished pond. Very nice job! Is the inside concrete? I didn't notice a liner.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very, very pretty pond and love the plants and fishes. I just want to keep looking at that pond........actually I want to be sitting there in a trance in real life :lol:

Reaction score
addy1 said:
very very nice.....................love the look of your pond. The plants really add to it.

Thanks. Still a work in progress, but good for now.

sissy said:
love it and those purple flowers really make everything pop .They look like they glow
Ya, Tons of them this year. Thanks.

koiguy1969 said:
lookin' good aviator80-1
Needs more fish! Thanks.

DrDave said:
I think this is the first time I have seen the finished pond. Very nice job! Is the inside concrete? I didn't notice a liner.

Liner cut and glued to rock and rock on a roll over top of seam. If I ever redoo it I would like to go linerless.
Thanks.

j.w said:
Very, very pretty pond and love the plants and fishes. I just want to keep looking at that pond........actually I want to be sitting there in a trance in real life :cool:

Wish I had time to do the same. Working on finishing the basement so I have very little time to do outside work these days.
Thanks.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
How is the rock on a roll holding up? What's you pro's and con's? Why go linerless? That would scare me to death to do anything but liner after digging in rock! Even then?? One heck on of nice job after digging through all that rock, What would you use next time if:surfing: changes ever needs made. BTW, I never hope that on anyone:yikesu:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some on my stream banks where it was impossible to hide the liner, been there since last year, so far still looking like "rock" lol

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Can you cut the Rock? say I wanted a piece 4" wide instead of the width it comes in? Is the backing like seem tape or something else? I'm intrested in trying some but just wanting to find out how well it holds up and how well it stays sealed to the liner.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
Can you cut the Rock? say I wanted a piece 4" wide instead of the width it comes in? Is the backing like seem tape or something else? I'm intrested in trying some but just wanting to find out how well it holds up and how well it stays sealed to the liner.

I cut it with sissors. It is like a heavy sort of rubber type material, sort of. Rough texture. Cuts to any size you want it to be. Easiest to use after laying out in the sun, more pliable.

There is no tape on it, you need to drape, hold with rocks or glue. I used double side tape to stick it to my vertical sides.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Ahh, ok, getting a better picture now. Any chance you have a piece left over that you could take a pic of?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I'm thinking very seriously of getting the grey "rock on a roll" and using it on my waterfall where I have a problem with liner showing. I wish I knew about it when I first built it.

Ask a Question