water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
Ahh, ok, getting a better picture now. Any chance you have a piece left over that you could take a pic of?

Yep can do, will post in just a few.

brown first gray second. I have not gotten all my liner spots covered, tweaking job lol

DSC01574.jpg

DSC01575.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Depends on where you put it, it really does look like rock, but I am using small pieces among rock along the stream.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
smart pond pumps have a low water switch and does not allow them to burn out I have one .It is hard to reset the switch .Check your paper work .I have a harbor freight one and a laguna one and my neighbor has my smart pond one as the 1250 she has was not big enough

Reaction score
sissy, on 12 Jun 2013 - 11:49, said:smart pond pumps have a low water switch and does not allow them to burn out I have one .It is hard to reset the switch .Check your paper work .I have a harbor freight one and a laguna one and my neighbor has my smart pond one as the 1250 she has was not big enough

Well I was running a Tetra 1900 that I bougth at lowes a few years ago. Went to do a partial water change and forgot and woke up the the pond half emty. Luckaly I had the pump on the ledge so fish were fine. I ended up buying a 2000gph and 3600gph smartpond pump from lowes. I was only able to hook up the 2000 using 1" tuning as it will only run 1" or 1.5". The main waterfall/filter I have setup with 1.25" tubing, however the 3600 gph will only run 1.5 or 2". I would like to use the 3600gph pump so long as it is not too much flow and the 100g stock tank filter will still have enough time to properly do its job. If so I need to get some 1.5" or 2" tubing for it. Lowes stocks 1.5" max.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used a sump pump hose on mine and to this day am still
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:42777]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:42778]
using the same hose .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 pumps going and 3 outlets on each pump rigged up and ball valves on the end to adjust water flow .I used a regular T fitting from the plumbing department glued in extended pipes and used hose clamps on the pipes .One pipe goes to the waterfall on one end and other one goes in the filter and other one is tied to the bridge to allow water to just go back into pond in the middle .I have 2 filters set up the same way .Keeps the water oxygenated

Reaction score
Well I got both falls going. Using a smartpond 3600 for main falls/filter. Not all 3600gpm is flowing thru the filter as some spills out ontop of filter. And it does not seem like 3600gpm as it seems like it is barely more than the flow I had from my 1200. I ran 1.5" hose. Might flow more with 2". I also have not trimmed the hose to leangth yet. Not sure If I shold keep this pump of go with something else. I do like the bags they come with thou. My tetra 1200 pump was not burnt out so I used that for the second falls. I have not run this one in a couple years due to a leak so took all the rocks out and cleaned it and its not leaking. So not sure where the leak was but I love having it running again. Have the 1200 going thru UV light which needed a new bulb and pond has cleared up quite a bit. I added 50 2-3" koi a month ago and I love the pond with all the fish. 4 are over 12" and 1 is ~10" so eventually I will have too many koi but it is great for now.

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 296

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Actual flow depends on total head which consists of static and dynamic head. Static head is the height you are pumping. Dynamic head comes from friction in the pipe and friction in turns etc.

Smooth wall pipe has less friction. Shorter pipes have less friction.

Some pumps pump a lot of water at a low head but are worse then other pumps when there is much of a head. That sort of thing.

Most pumps have charts showing what they will pump at a given head.

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
Holy Crap! Bread crumbs to you! I was whining about a few 2 inch roots I had to saw through - not bedrock!

Carpet is a good idea to use as padding under your liner. Be sure to get all the tacks out (if there are any). That would totally suck to puncture your liner.

Please keep posting your progress. I am so inspired by your project!
Tim

Ask a Question