Building a 8'x10'x5' deep pond into basically solid rock 6" under ground

Reaction score
Very nice work.You're probably glad your almost finished,after 1 month.Man that is long time to wait for a pond :banghead3:

If i were you,i would build a small stream/big waterfall that will lead to your pond.you have a nice hill,there at the back,it will work out nicely

Reaction score
All rocks are out. The eye hook idea worked, but to be able to use a big enough eyebolt you would have to drill a really big hole to use a really big insert. I destroyed my ½ drill bits very quickly which only allows for a 5/16” eyebolt. The one eyebolt I got in helped me finally loosen the last rocks that were on the left side that I could not get loose. The ones I used as the top of the ramp in the pics. Finally after air hammering/chiseling around them for another few nights I got them loose. What a relief. But as soon as I started to lift it the eye hook sheered, as I knew it would. So I went to my other idea that I used to move a rock where I am putting my filter. I was able to get a 3/8” coated galvanized wire wrapped around it a couple times and then u-bolt clamped the wire to itself and hooked it to my come along that I had hanging above from a tie down straps around a tree and cranked it up. Did this for the last 4 rocks that I was able to losten fairly easy after the first one. The come along I was using was just one that sears had and was only rated for 1000lbs, which is lighter that I wanted, but I didn’t have time to get up to harbor freight. It did the job and I didn’t get hurt luckily as these rocks all weighed less than 500 lbs. That is a good idea about the carpet, it just would not work if the cable is vertical like mine was. I just mainly looked away from it so at least protecting my eyes incase it did snap.
Now that all the rocks are out I need to take cement and mortar smooth all the jagged stuff out. This is going to be a bit hard on the vertical cliff areas, but I guess I will pick up a piece of ¼” plywood and cut a 1’ tall x ~8’ long section and bend it and support it with 2x4s against the other side and pour the cement in behind it to build a smooth wall up. Well see how that goes.
Anyways so yesterday I dug a ditch for my drain line for the filter and dug a gully between where the 100gal stock tank filter will be up top and the pond so that any leaks or spillage from the waterfall will drain into the pond. My liner is a 20x25 so I should have plenty extra to go completely under the filters. It will be here tomorrow. I plan get get like a 20 gal rectangular plastic container to do a fines filter in up top. So that will feed a little streem down into the pond with a 350gph pump and the stock tank with a 1200gph pump into the 100gal tank will do the waterfall.
To make a waterfall weir I was either going to just make 2 cuts about 3-4” down from the top and ~12” apart and use my heat gun to bend it down. Then I could attach something to sides to prevent it from flowing over the sides with silicone and small SS screws. I would also put a wires across the top to make sure the tank was still rigid. I think this would work fine and be cheapest compared to buying a plastic welder and getting some sheet stock from grainger,
this welder
from ebay for $159:
(harborfreight also has one for cheep one that may do the job)
and making a weir like koiguy did.

I know this is all usless info without pics, but figured Id write it up now and post some more tonight.

Reaction score
Some pics
1: Standing on left front. Can see the concrete I did last night is still covered. Right there the rock was really shardy so I used concrete and masonary mix to smooth it out. Came out good as seen in the other pics
2: Standing on front. Can see all the rocks are gone.
3: You can see the upper hole for the 100gal filter.
4: Right hand side.
5: Left hand side.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 318
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 336
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 374
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 346
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 364
Reaction score
Here are some more. And that’s kali's new friend cody.
1: The come along on the left had side I used to pull the last of the rocks out hanging from the tree.
2: The back upper part where the waterfall will spill into on the right and a short falls/streem will come down on the left.
3: Fuzzy picutre standing in the back left on the hill of the filter hole and ditches I dug for the drain.
4: You can see the shardy rock that I will have to fill in on the wall there.
5: Cody and more rock I will have to smooth out with concrete at the botom of the pond. Much better than before when I had those rocks left in there. This would be the left hand side but im standing at the back side of the pond still.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 332
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 336
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 341
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 302
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 298

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i have to hand it to you .. you are one patient man!! this pond has been one slow moving struggle hasnt it? well kudos to ya! and i hope your enjoyment of it outweighs the time & effort put in... best wishes

Reaction score
I don't know. I have the feeling he is like me and enjoys the time and effort part as much or more. You get the vision in your mind which drives you to be persistant moving foward. I'm betting after he gets this done, he builds another or adds on.

Reaction score
Yea, well I didn’t have much choose on the placement of it. My original idea was to put it on the other side of the wall in the back right corner of the yard, but would have had to deal will cutting a 50' tree down and digging in a 30 year old root system. So it might have been easier in some ways, but who knows. Plus I didn’t want to cut down a tree and where I have it is closer to the house and under a shade tree (which will cause problems in the fall but oh well).
Im going to pick up a bunch more concrete today to try to get everything smoothed out. Im going to hit up restaurant depot soon to see what they have for filter media so hopefully I can get all that cheep. Bought a 12"x24"x1/2" sheet of HDPE from grainger for under $20. That should be here in a couple days. Im going to order the harbor freight iron for $20. So long as it is 80w it should get hot enough to do what I want to do. I just cant decided if I want to order anything else sense I have to pay shipping. HF is 50 minutes from my house and I need a nail gun. I order 32oz of the microbe-lift-pl gel for my filter media. Underliner came today, Liner comes today or tomorrow. I feel bad for the fedex guy having to cary that 150lb box up my driveway. Hopefully he can back his truck up part of they way as it is steep!

Airic said:
I don't know. I have the feeling he is like me and enjoys the time and effort part as much or more. You get the vision in your mind which drives you to be persistant moving foward. I'm betting after he gets this done, he builds another or adds on.

After I get this done im off to put the flooring in the basement I bought 6 months ago from lumber liquidators as I will be ripping up the carpet to use in the pond. Then im off to try and terrace the front yard to get some levelness in the front. Im sure one day if im here I could do more if the GF lets me as I have a huge hill in the back yard that would be pefect for a stream. I would just need a high lift pump. I do enjoy the work thou in that Ive always got to be doing something. It basically my fulfillment/ sense of accomplishment as I get no joy from work.
You should see my car.
http://www.6crew.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6428
That is just some of the work ive done to it.

Its good to have found this forum for the encouragment and help thou. Thanks.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
ive been there... i finally had to start just doing things before i changed my mind, or my ponds would of never got done.and i know what what your saying...a pond is never truly done, its always going to be a work in progress.

Reaction score
haha thats what they get paid to do and they have a dolly to hall the stuff, ur one dedicated man i like the progress it sure guna b a good lookin pond when ur all done cant wait, if u lived closer id let u use my plastic welder iv never used it on my pond stuff yet but iv welded pleanty of car bumpers and other stuff.

Reaction score
Ya, ive been researching the plastic welding as I was going to do some work on my car with it, so this should allow me to get some practice. I got the heat gun so I could melt my windshield wiper tank to fit the D2S Projectors I modded into my fogs.
http://www.6crew.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6195
That is when I learned about what plastics could and could nto be glued.
I figured the HF one will do the job for now and I can upgrade later. IM good at soldering so I think I will get the hang of it quickly.

Ask a Question