Building a 8'x10'x5' deep pond into basically solid rock 6" under ground

Reaction score
Ya, I havent even driven it in this year cause I started working on it and never fully finished. It drives now I went mod crazy on it and got myself into some serious debt, along with buying a huge cj8 jeep I dont drive and boston whaler that now needs a new engine (found one for $1000, but just cant spens money on it when Im in so much debt), or at least a new lower end. So doing this pond is expensive, but actually not so bad compared to my other hobbies.
here is my full signature of what ive done to the car. Sorry alot of stuff is abreviated so it may be confusing, but some of it is linked. THe is suposed to be strike thru as in BS delete (balance shaft) and variable valve something or another and exhast gas return delete. Im just waiting for my advan RZs to come in then I will drive it again as its still got the snows on.
CPE Standback - CPE catted DP to dual muffler CS mounts - CPE FMIC w/ OEM air dam & HKS BOV - mrlilguy CDFP - D N P - CPE CAI - speedie6 TIP - SU MM - TWM SS - TT Front MM - TT & CPE Rear Diffmounts - BC Coilovers - Brembo Front/StopTech & EBC Redstuff rear - F2 Baffle BS - VTCS & EGR -8.5x18et45 57F's w/ 245/40/18 RE-01Rs I can roll your fenders or rent roller - Passport 8500 X50 + LI Quad Laser Jammer - X50 mute button, Sub volume, LI swith & Dashawk custom mounted in steering column - EURO Tails - Rola Roof Rack - Prosport Boost gauge-Vent mount - TSX projector Retrofit - 55w projectors in fog retrofit - Carputer - CRX antenna w/ sat antenna mounted in front - Audison Dynaudio & Alumapro - Amsoil/Schafer Supreme
BNIB MS3/MS6 3071 For Sale

Reaction score
Impressive dig.

aviator79 said:
So along with that I also have to fugure out if I can have my filter on the other side of the wall I built, which will put it at like 30+ feet away from the pond and up like 10' in elivation. Can a pump handle that along with the 5' of depth of the pond.
Yes. You can ignore the depth of the pond. All that matters is the difference between the waterline of your filter (or wherever you are pumping to) and the waterline of the pond. But remember to add the friction head for your pipe and all the fittings.

Here's a page with some efficient external pumps. It shows the PQ curves, so you can pick out a pump that will do the job, but the owner, Steve, insists you call to order because he wants to talk to you first and make sure you're getting the right pump for your pond. This is good, though. He really knows ponds and you'd be a fool not to take advantage of the free consult. He'll also send you a new pump within two days if you need a warranty repair.

http://www.highdesertkoi.com/pumps.htm

Reaction score
Ya I realized that later. IM going internal and putting the fiter at the top of the pond so I will only have 3-5' head.

Well I went to restaurant depot on got a box of the green type 96 pads which is 6 bags of 10 (60) pads for like $30. I also got a box of thicker 86cc for like $35 for 60. So Sams would be 3 x $6.88 x 1.1 (non member 10% charge) = $24. So it would have been cheaper, so I may get some more from them. I went to all different stores and could not find the scouring balls as most places don’t sell them anymore. I found 9 packs of 3 for $1.09each (butler brand). I am going to order 48 more online for $44.98 shipped from here:
http://www.restockit.com/SOS-Tuffy-Nylon-Scouring-Pad--(98130CLX)---TOP-SELLER!.html
USE GP9BT for 10% off.

Sams membership pass
http://www2.samsclub.com/smallbusiness/media/onedaymembership.pdf

I also got like 8-10 cut to size heater filter that seems to be good to go on top of the balls. They are fairly open but all plastic so should be good. Xpect discounts is the only place that had the balls. They also had the best deal at 15 small scrubbies for $1. All in all I spent way more on media than I wanted, but oh well. Got everything I need now except a bucket for my second smaller fines filter. Haven’t decided, but thinking of going with a Rubbermaid slim jim can that they have a home depot for $31.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...D28X-_-100642669&locStoreNum=6226&marketID=10
And doing a bottom feed to it and have it stuffed with the pillow material that the water has to peculate thru and then the overflow drain at the top to a second waterfall/stream. I want to do it this way to get the height for the second waterfall and so long as the material is stuffed in there good it should work just as well as going from the top down thru it to a bottom drain. I guess I should get another 2" ball and shower drain for this as well. I already bought the 3-1/4" hole saw for nearly $30 so might as well use it more than once. Lowes is great for pluming. Also got me a new 12gal shop vac from HD for $30 as mine died, I think due to using to small gauge of extension cord. They had theres on sale to match a sale lowes had done, thou the Lowes one had ended, HD still had some Rigids. It was the same one as the one I had that just died which is cool so I can use the original bucket that I beat to shit along with the hose. I have to use it to vacuum the shards of rock up so I can lay the concrete. Almost done...

Reaction score
aviator79 said:
I went to all different stores and could not find the scouring balls as most places don’t sell them anymore. I found 9 packs of 3 for $1.09each (butler brand).
I ordered a case of potscrubbers April 10, and still haven't got them. These didn't have a recognized brand, but they were about ten cents each even after shipping. When I checked last week, everyone who had reliable online stock status on the cheap ones was still out. I think they're all waiting for the Chinese to make another batch.

Reaction score
you should see if blasting is allowed in your area. lol
i thought i had it bad digging clay soil.

it looks like the area you've picked will be cool and it will be worth the work when done.

Reaction score
Some update pics. Moving these huge rocks is harder than I thought it would be so its going slow. Not sure I like how its coming out either as I made it taller than I planned. The rest will be lower like how the left side that I started, but I am trying to transition the right side down but just dont have the right rocks. They have to be the biggese ones to be able to hold the water in and not fall over so...Ill finish eventually. Heading back out there shortly...just need to go get an ice cofee.
Its really foggy out!
IMG_3001.jpg

These are looking striat down from the left side. I have cemented the bottom to smooth it. Water doesnt drain out very good now as I sealed all the crevasses.
IMG_3002.jpg

IMG_3003.jpg

IMG_3004.jpg

Reaction score
The buckets fit up there. The big one will be on 3 cinderblocks to allow for the bottom drain. Once done they will be covered in rocks so you wont see them. Will just look like the wall continues and with some plants in them it should look nice.
IMG_3010.jpg

IMG_3011.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

Cemented that all in. Was all shardy rocks. Quite a difference.
IMG_3013.jpg

Reaction score
My girlfriend taking pictured of me drunk playing with power tools. Good times.
IMG_3014.jpg

Thats water. Who needs a liner.
IMG_3015.jpg

Started making the wall.
IMG_3016.jpg

That pipe is cause I dont have a long peice of wood so I had to use it to try to figure out the level.
IMG_3017.jpg

Reaction score
Found these rubber mats on the side of the road. Got a ton of them and there are more there so it should make for good underliner under my underliner and maybe still use some rug.
IMG_3028.jpg

Cut up some scrubbies.
IMG_3029.jpg

IMG_3030.jpg

IMG_3031.jpg

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
wow those rubber mats are a good find.. how convenient!! for free go 2 or 3 thick with them.. alot of added protection..

Ask a Question