Building a koi pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all , I’m looking at the very near future to maybe building a pond for koi carp , I’ve already got an existing pond , just a moulded one that sits in the ground , but I’m looking to remove this , but , before I put a pond liner down , do I need to put anything underneath ? Any advice will be welcomed ! Thanks in advance .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would recommend some kind of underlayment to protect the liner.

How big is your expansion going to be, and what kind of liner are you planning to use? I couldn’t find where you ever mentioned the size of your current pond, just that it sounds like a preformed pond liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
There are a few koi keepers here, but koiphen.com. is a forum dedicated to koi, so you should probably take a look there.

That said, those of us who've kept koi, will tell you they need plenty of room, filtration and oxygen. Besides the fact koi grow very large, are you aware they are long lived?

Koi are beautiful fish and have great personalities, just know what they'll need before you head down that path.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Rule of thumb 1 koi for the first 1000 gallons. For them to be happy lots of water room, filtration, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Stay away from a PVC liner. They are terrible and will fail very quickly from both UV and puncture damage.

You want either EPDM or HDRPE.
Most sellers will also carry non-woven underlayment for your liner, but you can get creative by using carpet padding, carpet, newspaper, etc. I used a layer of kiddie sand on the bottom and the non-woven underlayment over that to protect my EPDM liner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if your asking these basic questions i would suggest watching you tube videos. Starting with Modern design aquascaping, oz ponds then graduating to Aquascapes , Atlantis water garden

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
in my showcase " the link is below this text " are many questions and options to building a pond. it is rather extensive

Ask a Question