Building a new pond - so many questions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Really wow. Because if you look at the logic of it for a 6000 gallon pond you should have a pump which can turn 6000 gallons every hour. With the pump that can only turn 4980 gph there will be that excess 1020 gallons not turned and this can definately result in the water becoming cloudy due to no proper circulation of the pond water through the bog filter. Therefore I would suggest that you take the 6600 gph pump ( in the first mention ) or the 8000 gph ( in the second mention ). If you take the 6600 gph you are only just making the requirement of a suitable pump. Then we also have to take into proper circulation. The pump should be able to push the water from the pond and into you bog filter and still have enough pressure to push the water effectively through all your filter media. With the 8000 gph pump you can do all of this with no problem what so ever and if you decide to extend the pond the same pump can be used. If you ask me that is definately more pros to buy the 8000 gph pump compared to the 6600 gph pump. The only downside is the cost. Then again it is all up to you. But I will strongly advice you not to get the 4890 gph pump as it is to small.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I have never hear abut every two hours. But even then the 4980 gph is still to small and the 6600 gph is just a bit risky. But since you are having a goldfish pond ( totally slipped my mind ) then the 6600 gph should be just fine as the amount of fish waste won't be to much. But then again I still feel with a 8000 gph the water quality is going to be much better. Then again it is up to you. Hoped this helped.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The ideal turnover rate is 1 1/2 to 2 times per hour. So, as Alpravinosh pointed out, a 4900 gph pump is entirely too small. A range of 9000 gph to 12000 gph will provide the circulation needed for a pond this size that will house fish, regardless of specie.
One solution to this problem would be the use of 2 skimmers and 2 pumps. Two (2) pumps rated at 4500 gph will actually use less electricity than one (1) 9000 gph pump eventually paying the cost of the additional skimmer. Also the use of two (2) skimmers provides more flexibility as to placement, thus not focusing the intake at one location. External pumps may be plumbed to a skimmer, but submersibles work more efficiently overall. Additionally, the use of two (2) skimmers and pumps provides a level of back-up insurance. When one pump fails (as it eventually will), the other pump will still be working providing at least some circulation to the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I totally agree with Myer above. Best to do more water movement rather than less. On my 4,000 gal pond, I have a 4200 submersible pump that I can switch from waterfall to skimmer to fountain or a couple of these items. I also have a 1600 gal pump in the skimmer. You may not need the large pump to run the skimmer, but you DO need more water movement on a 6,000 gal pond than a 4900 gph pump. IMO, listen to ponders vs. someone trying to sell you the equipment. Also, if you said it like, "Don't you think this one will be enough?" they probably want to keep you happy. LOL The other good thing about a larger pump is if you add anything later, you will have the extra power to run that, too. One pump can run several things at once.
Also, the idea of the skimmer only having a basket for the leaves if it is going to run the bog is a good idea. The basket on mine catches 90% of the floating algae that appears this time of year until the plants really get into high gear.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah and you should so check out the link I gave you for the skimmer. And it is quiet likely once you get you pond running you would definitely want to make it bigger so like I said before I think you should definitely get the bigger pump. More pros than cons. Hope this is of great help.

Ask a Question