Building a Pond in Chicago Area - Advice Gladly Taken

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Yup. I suggest you wait patiently. Tough I know. But give it time and your pond will do what ponds do. It looks great by the way!

I thought someone would say to wait. Similar experience when I would set up freshwater aquariums before - large or small it was the same thing: wait for mother nature. Thanks for the compliment on the pond. The family spends a lot of time just watching the pond and talking about it. The pond is giving payback already.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, you did a great job - you should enjoy all your hard work! And yes, waiting is hard. But it's the best in the long run. An old time pond guy told us it takes three years for your pond water to mature. Just let it be - keep it free of debris, don't overload with fish, don't overfeed the fish you do have and you will be a happy pond owner for many years to come.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
For a quick update, the pond water has cleared up significantly in the last two days. It has shown signs of increase clarity in the last week or so. Then today I noticed I can see the 18" to 24" depths quite well and can see the deepest section of about 40" good - I drop a PVC elbow down the deepest section a few weeks and I can see it now.

I added a few larger size water hyacinth and the WH that I already had are growing quicker now. There is a plant I have in a floating basket that have big red blooms every day or so (can't remember the name of the plant). The King Tut is growing and the two water lilys are doing very week. Every pad that comes up is increasingly bigger. And one water lily is averaging a pod a day. The other about one every other day.

We feed the fish every 2-3 days. I added a Matala green filter to the skimmer. And I have been impatiently waiting of more water clarity.

I think all things are just coming together now. Even the plants on the back outer end of the pond are filling in well. See pics attached.

Attachments

• IMG_2055.JPG
    IMG_2055.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_2056.JPG
    IMG_2056.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_2057.JPG
    IMG_2057.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_2058.JPG
    IMG_2058.JPG
    313.4 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_2058.JPG
    IMG_2058.JPG
    313.4 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2059.JPG
    IMG_2059.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_2060.JPG
    IMG_2060.JPG
    278.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2061.JPG
    IMG_2061.JPG
    260.4 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_2062.JPG
    IMG_2062.JPG
    298.3 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_2065.JPG
    IMG_2065.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 229
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Your hyacinths look amazing! And your red flowered plant is a hibiscus. It could be a hardy variety, but it would only be hardy if it was planted in the ground. You could easily do that at the end of the season and overwinter it in the ground and then repot it next year for the pond. Or you could bring it indoors and treat it as a houseplant until spring. It's so pretty!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking great! I have a hibiscus that looks like that in the ground, covered with huge red flowers right now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Your pond is just beautiful :)
Thanks to you and tbendl. The pond is even clearer today. Really enjoying the pond more now. May add one more comet of the game size as the three fish I have. Hoping to see some new fish for a spawning in the Spring.

Ask a Question