Building a pond on a slope

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I'm with the rest of the guys, I would love to have a slop like yours to work with. I would probably utilize the whole length of the slop on one side of the yard. However you end up designing your pond, stream, and water fall, make sure you make a way to hide your filtration system to keep the whole pond looking natural.

I see postings of some outstanding and beautiful ponds, but have ugly filtration systems with PVC pipes running all around the ponds. Hide as much as you can. You will enjoy you finished pond much more.

Reaction score
ok i have decided to build a 1500 gallon pond now....as its winter here what i am going to do is slowly start buying the best equipment i can with the money i have being a student havent got much...
am looking into under water lighting for the pond.....i have seen a couple on ebay i was wondering would i need a switch box for them?

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have a independant breaker in my garage just for my pond that goes out to a four plug 110 volt GFI outlet next to the pond just in case something goes worng at the pump or heater. It has already saved my bacon twice now.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
kentan 07, my pond is on a slope. We laid hoses and used a laser level to try to figure out the best place to put it. Our main issue was to find a "less" sloped area for the pond itself. But the slope made a great stream with multiple waterfalls, still not done, but working on it!

I also took pictures of the yard and drew in ponds, streams etc, using a basic paint program. It ended up a little close to one of the multiple drawings I made.

Good luck and most of all have fun!

Reaction score
ok so far i have got two filters sorted each 55 gallon each, a uv filter,bottom drain and a skimmer. Now i need to work out how to build the support wall? How would i do this? I was thinking building a two wall support at the bottom of the slope and then a single wall around the edges of the pond. would you suggest any building tips as the supporting wall will be holding alot of weight?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Backfill with dirt and landscape it. That way it is supported and it won't look like a tank.
D&RW did this and theirs looks fantastic. Do a search under their name and you will see many photos.
A good example of theirs is attached.

Attachments

• D&RW 8.jpg
    D&RW 8.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 670
  • Pond%20expansion%202010%20269.jpg
    Pond%20expansion%202010%20269.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 793
Reaction score
Hello in my koi pond....ive been reading and people have been saying leave it bare bottom........but this isnt very attractive isit?what could i cover the bottom?or best left bare

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
In time, the bottom will have a natural coating and you won't notice it. Especially if you also have plants both floating and inside the pond.

Reaction score
Right so next week am going to start pond construction......
Digging it out my self with a shovel so will take a while
I was thinking about the supporting wall??
what would be the best way to build this as it will need to hold the weight of the water??

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That depends on how deep/high and the soil you have. Blocks on a good foundation with rebar is your strongest method.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ketan07 said:
Right so next week am going to start pond construction......
Digging it out my self with a shovel so will take a while
I was thinking about the supporting wall??
what would be the best way to build this as it will need to hold the weight of the water??

We used some of the dug out dirt to make a dirt berm, it is approximately 3-4 feet high, on the lower edge of the pond. So far it is holding well. You want to make a good slope on the non pond side for strength.

Ask a Question