addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We had a 5 foot difference between the up hill side of the pond to be and the lower side. This was the flatest piece of land I could find in our back yard. Our drop from the house to our first fence is around 15 feet. Dug the up hill side down by 2-3 feet, made a rock wall on the up hill side (above water)

DSC00261.jpg

, put the dug out pond dirt on the down hill side of the pond to make a dirt berm. Used a laser level and kept digging down and adding dirt to the berm until finally achieved level. I made sure the down hill side of the berm had a good slope for strength. It has gone through freezing, bad rains, extreme dry and is holding up great. I planted the down hill side of the berm with ornamental grasses and lirope to get some root hold going also.

backyard3.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I dug mine out by hand all by myself and had no problems doing it and if your soil is not sandy should not be a problem as the water once it is in the pond will support the dirt walls .Mine starts at 2 feet and goes down to almost 4 feet .did not want to go to low as I'm only 5 ft 2 inches tall and putting the liner in might have been a problem as it was I had to pull the liner in and be under it to spread it out myself .I did not want to get stuck under the liner and not be able to get out:lol::regular_waving_emot would not be a fish pond then would be a people pond

Reaction score
When I was in Australia my friend owned a huge piece of land just out of Melbourne, and it was at the top of a hill, they basically just dug out a hole and put most of the earth on the lower side, this eventually caused a natural pond to form

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing yep, we almost did the same thing,but our dirt will not hold water, so had to line it.

Ask a Question