Building plant stands?

Reaction score
I didn't realize sunlight would degrade white PVC. I'll paint future models, I just wanted to get the prototype in the water and see how it worked.

The new stand is a major water flow improvement over my previous setup. I'll play around with hole in future models, since structural strength isn't a major issue.

My yard is protected from strong winds on all sides by trees, houses, and fencing. The stand withstood a good push by hand, so I think it will hold up. Some wider footing for more top heavy baskets is a possibility.

Reaction score
It's not a change for aesthetic's sake, Vertigo. My pond is fairly small, and I have 2 koi that I want to keep as long as possible before they outgrow it. The new stand opens up longer swimming lanes while still offering some plant shade for the fish.

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm more the functional type myself. I like the wildlife. I try to make things look decent moreso for the woman. lol I do go out of my way with the trickle filter to make it look good.

Reaction score
I'm definitely concerned about making things look right. But this particular move wasn't made to beautify the pond, and I must admit that I agree with vertigo in preferring the previous style.

I put a coat of black paint on the stand; hopefully that will effectively hide it in the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hotspurdotus, I made some similar (not here diff pond) if you want it more stable, put end caps on the legs fill with sand. Makes it real stable no tipping over.

Sun will degrade pvc but it takes years.....I left pvc laying out in arizona (sun almost all the time) all it did was yellow some when I finally tossed it out, couldn't move everything lol If left out long enough full sun, it can get brittle but sure takes a long time.

The pvc will get some dirt and algae on it. hide it somewhat, slowly lol

The other cheating way to de white it, is take that purple primer and coat the pipe, that helps blend it in.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I wouldn't worry about it getting brittle, It would a lot faster out of the water than in the water as the water will break down the UV rays significantly. I would get end caps for the footing. Lot smoother so less chance it would cut the liner, On the legs I would do one of two things, either fill with sand or drill a few small holes below water level to allow some water movement in the pipe, Dark stagnant water is a bad spot for some serious bad bacteria to grow. 4-5 small hole from the water surface down each leg will eliminate that. Next prototype or even a scrap piece of pipe, rough the pipe a little with sand paper and see what it does, I tried painting with plastic paint, Krylon, and the paint that looked like rock finish, all of them started coming off after a few months. I'm really not sure of what long term health problems if any it could cause to fish. My pipe algaed up nicely until pleco came and ate all the algae and the remaining paint off.

Reaction score
Here's the plant stand painted black.

Much more acceptable now. I still prefer the stone look, but I'm going to try this for a while and see how much it bothers me.

The white specks on the legs are the holes I drilled (post painting) completely through the plastic to allow water flow.

Attachments

• IMG_20110529_105814.jpg
    IMG_20110529_105814.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 395

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Looks pretty good, I agree not the best looking, but so much safer for the fish and very functional. I agree that this gives them more swimming room and safer swimming room.
Good job! Got me thinking about doing something similar to place a large flat rock on. The last cinder block I have in my pond and I have really been wanting to get it out of the pond, This idea just might work. Thanks for posting this thread,!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like that much better than the white. Good job hotspurdotus :twisted:

Reaction score
central vacuum tubing comes in black and its relatively inexpensive. its not as strong as pvc (thin walled)so i think i would cap it and fill w/sand.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a good idea, would probably work also.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you can find them, milk crates are perfect and very strong. They allow small fish a place where the big guys can't bother them as well.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
onemean said:
central vacuum tubing comes in black and its relatively inexpensive. its not as strong as pvc (thin walled)so i think i would cap it and fill w/sand.

They make 90's and 45's that fit them? How do you attach them together?

Reaction score
its identical to pvc except its a thin wall tubing. they have all the same fittings as pvc. 45's, tees, sweeps, 90's etc. they are available at most vacuums stores. i 've hooked up a few of these systems and have used gray and black tubes.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
at a vacumn store, they really have those? Wow, I really must live in a small town! lol I've never seen a vacumn store much less those types of fittings or pipe but interesting. I'll have to check into to that. Good to know there are other options.

Ask a Question