Building pond in Israel by a Granny!

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Kudos to you, for sure; Looks like it's going to be a pond haven, or fish heaven, or...someplace you can sit back and wait for your grandkids to bring you another lemonade!

Keep the pics coming!

Boss has already welcomed ya, here's one from the crew! :D :D :D :oops: :D :D ;) :cool:

Sure looking forward to that lemonade... Well, actually, make it an arak over ice, or maybe a good peaty single malt. Need to educate the grandkids about single malt, after all!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've been in construction my entire life. a boulder thats to big to get out of the hole finds a new deep end very close to the boulder and the boulder gets rolled into the new deeper area and LEFT THERE. BUT BECAREFUL the ground doesnt give way and your in the area

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sure looking forward to that lemonade... Well, actually, make it an arak over ice, or maybe a good peaty single malt. Need to educate the grandkids about single malt, after all!
do spend a bit of time roaming the hallowed halls of GPF as you'll want full knowledge of what can/might/will happen when you get your water in. I sense your 'haste' and worry that green water is going to knock all the enthusiasm out of you and the project! Just get an idea so you know what to do such that you minimize this event, which happens to all ponds initially.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
and I dont know if people have advocated for it yet, but now is the perfect time to add a bog and get rid of all worries of green water, a dirty pond, or needing more space to add plants!

@addy1 has a great thread on bog building

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
and I dont know if people have advocated for it yet, but now is the perfect time to add a bog and get rid of all worries of green water, a dirty pond, or needing more space to add plants!

@addy1 has a great thread on bog building
go FishGuy, go Fishguy, go FishGuy...!!!! :cool:

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I've been in construction my entire life. a boulder thats to big to get out of the hole finds a new deep end very close to the boulder and the boulder gets rolled into the new deeper area and LEFT THERE. BUT BECAREFUL the ground doesnt give way and your in the area

This one may well just get left where it is. On the other hand, the other big ones were also "too big" to get them out of their respective holes, but I eventually managed it. But they weren't quite as deep as this one. Meanwhile, the effort to dig down underneath it has provided me with at least one rather nice edging rock. It was quite a job getting it out of there. So we'll just have to see whether this huge one is moveable, whether I can split it into two, or whether it just gets left in situ and I build around it. I've been looking forward to trying my hand at building a "sanmatta" -- a rock-hoisting gizmo used in Japanese gardening. This might be my chance to see if it would work.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
do spend a bit of time roaming the hallowed halls of GPF as you'll want full knowledge of what can/might/will happen when you get your water in. I sense your 'haste' and worry that green water is going to knock all the enthusiasm out of you and the project! Just get an idea so you know what to do such that you minimize this event, which happens to all ponds initially.
Yep, I'll definitely be looking at adding a bog filter later on. I can handle a bit of green water while it gets built. The garden surrounding the pond will be somewhat Asian in style, despite the Mediterranean plant palette. Such gardens often center on a reflective green pond, with almost no view of the garden. Not that I'll want to let it stay that way! My goal will be to eventually have it nice and clear (once the initial algae bloom is over).

Right. Off to check out the bog threads...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Welcome - from one "woman of a certain age digging with a pickaxe" to another! :D You have me beat by a few years and your digging conditions are probably a bit worse than mine - so I am very impressed! I had a couple of those giant rocks that I had to get out, too. All by hand, me and my little pickaxe. It is HARD work. How are your elbows? Motrin is my best friend when I am working on the pond. I am so excited to follow your build! It is going to be fantastic!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome - from one "woman of a certain age digging with a pickaxe" to another! :D You have me beat by a few years and your digging conditions are probably a bit worse than mine - so I am very impressed! I had a couple of those giant rocks that I had to get out, too. All by hand, me and my little pickaxe. It is HARD work. How are your elbows? Motrin is my best friend when I am working on the pond. I am so excited to follow your build! It is going to be fantastic!
didn't hafta be, @bagsmom ; tol' ya we were willin' ta fund a tugboat to get CW's Barney out to ya...but, I bet SOMEONE once tol' ya that hard work builds character, hey? Makin' a note now to have you looked at sometime during this new pond process to see exactly how much character yer buildin'...! Expecting lots, don'tcha know! ;)

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
So good to find I'm not the only one! I see big rocks along the roadside and I think "Oooh! I want that for the pond!" Never mind that there's no way to move it. I can dream!

But yeah, it really is hard work. I think I'm probably in better shape now than when I was 30. Over the past summer, I had to move 3 tones of river rock from our neighbor's yard down the stairs into our yard (the story is that when it was delivered, the crane couldn't reach our yard, so they left the bags in the neighbor's front yard; he was fine with it). So that was just the exercise I needed to get in shape!

Elbows are holding out, but my back isn't always on speaking terms with me. One thing I've learned is that if I'm particularly sore after a day's work, the next day I need to do *exactly* the same things that made me sore... Counter-intuitive, but it really does seem to help!

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
OK, here's a bit more on this project.

First, the surroundings... The pond will take up the center of the back yard, while its various filtration bits, waterfalls, overflow streams, etc. will extend all over the garden. The viewing area is our back patio, which is where I tend to spend most of my time. Weather permitting, I move my home office out onto the patio as well.

So here's the view from the patio looking south:

Afternoon-garden-27Oct27-web.jpg

The pond will be just the right of the porch pillar. Where the chair and pots are sitting will be an intake bay and pump vault (all DIY).

And here is the view looking toward the other side of the patio:

autumn2-web2.jpg

So if you're sitting at the little table in the above photo, you're looking out towards the southwest corner of the garden, where the stream and waterfall will be.

All well and good, but there were a few problems. First, the area where the stream was to go actually started out being the lowest part of the garden! My goal was to use spoil from the pond to build it up so that it would be about half a meter above the point where water enters the pond. And of course, that point itself also needed to be built up, as did the west side of the pond, which started out considerably lower than the east side...

So my first job was to pull the top soil off the pond and use it to build up the west side of the pond. Why top soil? Because this area will later be planted, and I wanted to preserve every cm of fertile soil for that. The subsoil would later go toward building up the stream bed in the southwest corner. In each of the photos that follow, you'll see the stream area gradually rising, until it's at the level of the retaining wall (which is now in danger of collapsing down the hillside due to the weight of soil, but that's a different issue).

But first, there were two other problems that had to be dealt with: two of the trees that I had planted some ten years ago had been pushed over by the prevailing winds. In the years after I planted them, I had been dealing with some health issues, and had really let the garden go. But now what?

Here is how things looked as I started work in early November of last year:
leaning tree_web2.jpg

Here you can see the point just to the left of the leaning tree where the water will enter the pond. At this point in the dig, this area was still much lower than where the water level would eventually be, so a lot of work was needed to raise the grade. But first, what to do about that tree?!

I first tried using a pulley tied to a sturdy tree to the right of it to straighten it out (hence the ropes visible in the photo) but to no avail. So I bought a hand winch (aka a "come-along"). I wrapped up the tree in underlayment from my old pond, put a 2x4 along the far side to keep the ropes from digging into the bark, and trussed the come-along up to a sturdy tree, and....

straightening-tml-10Nov21-web.jpg

Success! It took a fair bit of work, over a period of several days to allow the tree to settle in the new position after pulling. But it worked!

straightening-texas-mountain-laurel-web.jpg

The same process was repeated for the lime tree, that was also leaning way into the pond. In the photo below, you can see the progress as of the middle of November. The lime tree was similarly trussed up and straightened, various paving slabs were dug out of the old pond and moved over to my staging area with the hand truck, and digging in earnest was ready to commence!

lime-tree-straightening-pond-progress17Nov21-web.jpg

pond-progress-17Nov21-web.jpg

Now one problem I encountered early on is the soil...or rather, the lack of it! Once I'd dug down 20 cm, I met gravel. From there on down, it was all or nothing: there was no way to form shelves at all.

pond-shelves-08Nov21-web.jpg

So while I was able to cut away the topsoil to allow the placement of edging stones, the shelves inside the pond will need to be built using cinderblock or something similar. Fortunately, in one of my construction dump sorties, I scrounged some pieces of an old concrete pipe (visible in the photos above). These will be helpful for shelf building along the south wall.

Not everyone was happy with the pond progress however... As I removed the first layer of stones, the wildlife living beneath the stones had to be rehomed. That included about one scorpion per rock...

scorpion-web.jpg

And then I had a stroke of luck! A friend who is in construction loaned me his jackhammer for a day. Yeeehawww!

The scorpions were not amused.

granny-get-your-jackhammer-nov2021-web2.jpg

Sadly, I had to give it back to him the next day, but it was fun while it lasted!

And so things progressed... By the end of January, the stream area had risen to the top of the retaining wall and the entry point was nearly at the high water mark.

Sunset-stream-bed-20Jan22-web.jpg

Meanwhile, the deep end of the pond was 60 cm below the high water mark. The goal was for this area to be 80-90cm deep and 2 meters in diameter -- just right for wading into on a hot summer day. My cat, Nissa helped with the dig...

Nissa-in-pond-23Jan22-web.jpg

But the rainy season was coming on, and work was slowing down. And then the first real storm hit, and I got a preview of what the pond would look like with some water in it!

pond-levels-panorama-22Dec21-web.jpg

pond-levels-west-22Dec21-web.jpg

Once the water had receded, I sent out a dove...

Ooops! Wrong story...

I got to work on widening the deep end and deepening the intake bay...

Progress-23Jan22-web2.jpg

In the above photo, you can also see some rocks that may end up being used for the spillway and frame rocks. The crowbar across the top of the rock marks the eventual water level, so the stream still needs to be raised a bit.

And that's where it stands at the moment: I'm widening the deep zone, creating steps so that it will be safe to move around in the pond, and getting ready to knock out the wall of the intake bay so that I can dig it out (impossible to dig down in this (non)soil; you have to pickaxe it from the side.

Oh, and there's the matter of the huge boulder at the bottom of the deep end... But that is a story for another day!

Last edited:

Ask a Question