BUTYL TAPE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to bond an HDPE liner to an aluminium spillway and was wondering whether butyl tape would create a leak free seal? HDPE is a low surface energy material and so a very tacky tape would be necessary.

Any advice mush appreciated

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don’t know a lot about HDPE but I feel like an adhesive sealant between the two and secured with a termination bar would be my first idea.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not worth even talking about in my book I'd never make a aluminum spillway . Aluminum oxidizes and constantly leaches. It's not the worst but certainly not the best either.
If I had to use something it would be edpmnprimes and double sided tape it is very similar but butyl is more for a gasket type of effect like between a mechanical faster terminating strip that would work but it's being pinched at that point not a glue

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not familiar with HDPE, but I use BUTYL TAPE quite a bit as a moisture guard on lumber when one piece mets another piece or soil, like exterior fence posts, decking, railings etc... butyl tape is used to protect one piece from getting moisture trapped and accelerate rotting. In most cases the tape is compressed between members.

My experience is these tape do not adhere by itself over time and abuse from the elements.

For example, let's say you have a wood beam that's a double 2X and overall thickness is 3" wide. You take a 3.5" wide tape and place it over this double beam, you will have 0.5" of excess, or if you center the tape, you will have 1/4" excess on each end which most people will fold over to the side. Now if you were to screw down some decking over the beam, the tape will be squeezed between the bottom of the decking and the top of the beam, keeping water out. I have seen over and over again, the 1/4" that's folded over, will come apart from the side of the beam only a week later when exposed to the elements. I wonder how sticky it will stay if the tape wasn't compressed in between.

I have also used these tape on itself, for example, wrap the shank of a shovel with it a few times and left it outside for a few weeks, it does come apart a little at a time. So I am not sure how it would behave using it as a patch sealant in an area subject to moisture.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used it to seal a slit in my mowers tire (now have new tires)

It sealed well, I mowed, within a few weeks it was falling apart peeling off.

Ask a Question