Narrow roll of pond liner tape?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
When I bring my liner up to the edge of the filter barrels, I would like to run a ring of the rubbery sealing tape around each 3" exit spout to get a really good no-leak seal between the liner and the barrels. I've been looking around for narrow rolls of the pond liner tape, but all I can find is the 3" wide stuff (which I already have). Does anyone know where I might find something more like 1" wide? Alternatively, has anyone found a good method of cutting this tape which doesn't involve it sticking to the scissors every half inch?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
See if you can find 6" single sided tape if that will work, it cuts far more easily, If you need the 3" (Double sided) Lay a piece of wax paper over the side that's exposed and it makes cutting far easier. PL roffing cement will probably do a better job of sealing and then use the tape to hold in place while the roofing cement bonds. I've only seen the tape available in 3" double sided and 6" single sided.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used a razor knife and just kept nail polish remover handy to clean the blade or you can keep changing the blade out .I found just keep snapping to new blade was faster .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
See if you can find 6" single sided tape if that will work, it cuts far more easily, If you need the 3" (Double sided) Lay a piece of wax paper over the side that's exposed and it makes cutting far easier. PL roffing cement will probably do a better job of sealing and then use the tape to hold in place while the roofing cement bonds. I've only seen the tape available in 3" double sided and 6" single sided.

I have some good double sided tape, with slight wrinkles in the liner, etc it would not seal. Gave up and used the pl roofing goop, no leak, seals great, easy...............

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I might have to look for the roofing cement (I think I've seen it before). The biggest problem I have here is that I am taking flat-sided pipe connectors, and screwing them together through a round-sided barrel. It makes sealing very tricky! Anything I can squirt out of a caulking gun is sure to have a better chance of sealing up odd-shaped surfaces. It was due to the lack of a good seal previously that the dirt between the barrels was completely saturated. I can only hope it dries out over time, but that'll never happen if I don't get a good seal. Of course the problem is, once I glue down the liner, how do I see if there are still any leaks? :)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Have you heard or tried uniseals? For what your doing they are GREAT! not expensive either. far less than a bulk head and if it's where the outflow is on your filters it would work very good.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I might have to look for the roofing cement (I think I've seen it before). The biggest problem I have here is that I am taking flat-sided pipe connectors, and screwing them together through a round-sided barrel. It makes sealing very tricky! Anything I can squirt out of a caulking gun is sure to have a better chance of sealing up odd-shaped surfaces. It was due to the lack of a good seal previously that the dirt between the barrels was completely saturated. I can only hope it dries out over time, but that'll never happen if I don't get a good seal. Of course the problem is, once I glue down the liner, how do I see if there are still any leaks? :)

This is what a tube looks like

d8cdacfd-0203-4ec9-9a72-58091d07ec2-1.jpg

It can be taken apart by yanking pulling slowly, you can break the seal. I had to do it on a connection I was changing. I over goop everything, so far not a single leak where I have used the goop.

Ask a Question