addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cleaning out a honey bucket..............feeding back to the bees. We don't go out on the deck until they are done, about a hour.
IMG_1710.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The way I understood the rules was that joining the Forum just to sell wasn't ok , but, buying/selling among established members was fine....did I get it wrong?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did they eat this entire bucket of honey, or just " licking it clean " ?
They lick it clean! If the coating of honey is more than 1/8 inch thick the bees get stuck and die.

I hate washing the coating down the drain when we are cleaning the buckets, so I scrape it as clean as I can then put it out for them. It comes in without even a drop of honey on it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The way I understood the rules was that joining the Forum just to sell wasn't ok , but, buying/selling among established members was fine....did I get it wrong?
Buying / selling among members is fine. Esp after you have established yourself as a contributing member.

They don't want commercial people to jump in and start posting non stop.

If anybody would like some honey feel free to pm me. The price has increased on a small priority box, it is in the 7.80 dollar range. A two lb box , own box, goes for around 8.60 or so.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Buying / selling among members is fine. Esp after you have established yourself as a contributing member.

They don't want commercial people to jump in and start posting non stop.

If anybody would like some honey feel free to pm me. The price has increased on a small priority box, it is in the 7.80 dollar range. A two lb box , own box, goes for around 8.60 or so.
Wait so can I start selling my trimmings now? or am I still a walking walmart apparently?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wait so can I start selling my trimmings now? or am I still a walking walmart apparently?

As previously discussed, members are permitted to sell the produce of their hobby on this forum. @addy1 undertakes bee-keeping as a hobby (read this thread), and has not advertised her honey for sale but was asked by other members if they could buy some. She asked us if this was ok and we said yes.

You grow plants with the express intent of selling and making a profit. Consequently you have been asked not to sell on this forum.

This matter is not under discussion, and by constantly questioning the rules you are not winning yourself any favours.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our bee keeping is a hobby a very expensive hobby. To actually make a living at it, you need a lot more hives than we have, breed queens, makes packages of bees and nucs of bees for sale. We just sale excess products from the hives, which does not even come close to touching the expense.

Out of interest here is rendered wax. It comes out as a beautiful yellow once you remove all of the debris.

IMG_1716.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, that is gorgeous ! Can you add an essential oil to a bees wax candle, such as lavender ?
I have not learned what needs to be done. This is the first time I have extra wax, I usually used any wax we got to rewax their foundation so the bees would draw it out better.
I saw there are scents you can add, now need to go back to internet class and read lol

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You grow plants with the express intent of selling and making a profit.
The OCD
haven't I said no I don't already.
But yes this is my final reply I just hate it when you all say that and when I say no you brush it off.

Nate

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 idk if I asked this before, how do you harvest bees wax?
When we decap the frames, i.e. cut off the wax caps we get xx amount of wax caps.
This is a picture of a square of honey, the cappings are still on, it is called comb honey. We have xx amount of frames with holes cut in them. The bees draw out the comb, without foundation, we cut it out. You can see the white wax coating. When we extract we spend hours cutting off the wax, from the uncut frames, I use a bread knife, then we spin the frames to extract the honey. That is the wax we get, called cappings. It takes a lot of frames to get the wax, the wax I got was from extracting around 450 frames of honey.
I can extract around 70 frames in a long day. Our extractor does 6 at a time. Some bee keepers use foundation-less frames, they extract by crushing the wax, but then every year the bees have to rebuild all that wax. We treat our drawn frames like gold. After extraction we let the bees clean them, then we freeze for two days, then we dry the frames, then we save them in containers until the next nectar season. By doing that it saves the bees a lot of work.

18953493_594362420755859_5479997139789187176_o.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Got my honey from @addy1 and OH MY GOSH! It is delicious! I got a jar of the creamed honey and it is so delectable... better than a piece of candy any day! And if you're like me and enjoy a little sweetness in your coffee, the creamed honey blended really well into my half and half. Added my cold brew coffee and OHHHHH.... so good! Thank you @addy1 for all of your hard work - and thank the bees for me, too!

Ask a Question