addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
haha! That's a great image... especially after you told us they were INSANE!
They were insane until the end of June, early July then boom................calm. Every hive except one did a supercede, i.e. they decided the queen was getting weak and replaced her. A queen only has so many eggs and so much sperm, when they start falling behind in laying eggs the work bees of the hive make the decision to replace her. They make her lay a egg in a prepared queen cell, then feed that egg extra royal jelly, making a queen. That queen will kill the old queen when she emerges, if the old queen had not been killed by the workers.

Of the hives that re-queened, one of them was the mean nasty hive. The attacks have stopped. I was working right behind the hives in a t shirt and shorts, not one bee bothered me. I was ready to bail if they started guarding me again.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had the bees doing the dishes. I emptied a lot of containers getting ready for the fair.
The Howard country fair is this weekend. We take a honey to the fair to sell, the club gets 10% of what we sell, which supports the club. They bring in good speakers.
IMG_1747.JPG
IMG_1748.JPG
IMG_1754.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have a honey prep room, the living room and kitchen get a bit crowded with bottles jars, boxes. I bottled up over 200 lbs in the last few days.

The club asked me to bring more honey than I ever have, we harvested more honey then ever before, which helps . All club members can bring honey, then you need to work the bee booth. It seems there are fewer members bringing honey this year. This is just the chunk honey bottled up, i.e a piece a comb in a bottle of honey.

IMG_1745.JPG
IMG_1750.JPG
IMG_1751.JPG
IMG_1757.JPG
IMG_1758.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, that's a lot of work!
-so who's busier - you or the bees?:)
Right now I think I am! ;) but if you watch a hive, I have never seen such activity as you see with a bee hive, each one has their task , which they preform well, until they drop dead in about 6 weeks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Congratulations - your hard work paid off !!

I was with one of my sisters this past week and gave her both bottles of honey. She immediately chose the darker one for herself :)

Ask a Question