j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It is so hard to believe what could be in the minds of people that hoard food like that. Something flipped a switch in the brain. Just awful to see all that wasted food and money down the drain. Good thing you guys know how to do all this fix up stuff yourselves!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Where is the condo on the water you'll eventually settle in to ...MD or FL? Nice to have so many options :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Where is the condo on the water you'll eventually settle in to ...MD or FL? Nice to have so many options :)
In Md we have our house just sold his rental in Baltimore, still have a rental of his in Pasadena, good renters.

Honey bought condos down here, before he met me, to work on when he came down to check in on his parents.
He has two then his parents house. I bought one, on the water way, sort of a impulse buy. Been renting it out 10 years now. Eventually we will use it as a winter, place. Hard to kick out good renters that pay the rent on time. And we are still pretty busy up in Md to come down here for a lot of months.

I swore I would never be involved in rentals, again, after dealing with them with old hubby. Then end up a lot with new hubby. We are trying to sale one a year now.
h.JPG

Reaction score
Addy, hope your bees are making it. One of my hives had reduced their size to only about 4 or 5 frames in Oct when they had been close to 1 &1/2 deeps full in summer, not sure what happened there. They were doing okay until the deep freeze of -5* and -25* windchill hit a few weeks back, I found all of them hundled right in middle under hive top feeder, just not enough bees to keep hive warm enough. Other hive had girls coming out at me when I check feeder so there is still bees in that one. I'm going to just see how this year goes with just the one hive, I barely had time with the two last years trying to remodel a home and all my other activities.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So far so good. I added enough sugar blocks to keep them fed for 3-4 weeks, around 12lbs. We are not home, my nephew is watching over the house, but he won't touch the bees.
We won't really know how well until we inspect when we get home, on a nice warmish day. They all were alive when I left, but that does not really tell you how many bees are hanging out in there.

We had two hives last year that reduced to one frame of bees, a queen and a bit of brood, they came back to be great honey producers. Never thought they would make it, but they did.

It takes a lot of time to care for these little stinging insects. But they sure create good honey!

Split your one hive, or grab some queen cells and a bit of nurse bees, start another hive. We do it a lot grab the queen cells with a frame of nurse bees, stick them in a box and they usually grow a great hive for us.

Reaction score
Not sure if I want to split or even buy a new package. Last year was frustrating with little to no honey even for them so I had to feed most of the year then the fight with the small hive beetles drove me insane.
I have an easier time finding a needle in a haystack versus finding the queen, I only saw them maybe 3 times during the beginning a setup, then I just checked for fresh eggs.
On top of that, I am no longer eating any sugars so my favorite food of honey is a big no no. :cry::cry:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I never look for the queen. Just go by is there brood or not. Since I quit looking find them more often.

Our flow is 6 weeks last year we got 700 lbs out of 17 hives. The year before 1500 lbs from 7 hives.

Last year nothing but rain. The year before a lot dryer. The rain ruins the nectar flow.

Well if you are not eating it, let them be add enough boxes so they have good brood chambers boxes for honey and let them make it on their own
A strong hive can fight the beetles. Ours are full sun which helps.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That stuff is so good. Happy you are enjoying it!

Reaction score
Sophomore year is not going good either. Been working long hours and the days I had time to get in the hive, it was heavy raining or too cool. I didn't get my honey super on in time, they started packing it into the brood chamber and pretty sure they swarmed on me. I have about 10 supercedure cells and the night I went out last week, they were pouring out of hive and a lot of bees up in the air above the trees.
I'm thinking about trying to find a local beekeeper to see if they would want to have 2-3 hives on my property, I would give my hive over to them. Want to have the pollinators and maybe some honey, but don't think I'm cut out to be a beekeeper.

Ask a Question