Cameras for watching pond and for underwater viewing...?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 and anyone else with outdoor (and fish) cams:

We're in Best Buy, and I've finally convinced Hubby that we need outdoor camera(s) -- yea, me! So we're looking & comparing products & features, etc, etc.

I tried to do a "search" of GPF, 'cause there have been lots of posts from you guys regarding your cams -- BUT there are a LOT of posts to search......and I'm using my iPhone....

WHAT CAMERAS DO YOU GUYS USE and WHAT KINDS OF SET-UPS DO YOU HAVE? Would like to be able to view from our tablets....and Hubby wants wireless stuff. Want day & night capability, and I want to be able to watch the fish underwater :)

Any tips to help us search? Maybe not brands so much, as what to look for in features, and what to stay away from.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I use IP bullet style cameras with night vision. Mine have what is called POE power over Ethernet which makes connection easier as you do not need power to the camera also just cat5 wire. I do not have one for underwater but they are waterproof just not for underwater use. We can view ours over any wifi connection with the phone or tablet and computer. Ours are all wireless but that needs additional equipment for solid performance. Ours are over 300ft away from our house in our horse barn. Here is the setup we used

IMG_2721 gf.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a q-see system, wired, with a separate bought underwater camera

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
I use netgear vuezone. Cheap and very easy to setup as the cams are wireless. They sell a waterproof enclosure but as of right now I have 7 all around my property but none in the water. It does requre an annual subscription which allows you to store video and photo on vuezones website. You also can set the motion cams up to send you an email when they detect movement. They are not HD quality but love playing around with them and checking in while I'm at work

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What is a "q-see system"?

https://www.q-see.com/

I shop at costco, they offer some good deals, just upgraded my system to HD with 400 bucks off the price.

There are a lot of systems out there. Just find what price range and features will work for you

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, we want to do something similar to you, same requirements :)

What system did you decide on in the end?

Cheers
Sunny

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought mine off ebay less than 100 dollars with hd and great color and night vision .i did not want zoom or anything fancy but this has a clearer video than my neighbors 300 dollar system Small and easy to install .I even made a you tube video .It is private so no one else can access it .It is the elec one and for the price I was surprised it worked so good .960H 700tvl and extra cameras are cheap .I have 2 systems

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wanted internet access, the ability to move the camera around to see what is going on when we are not home. It saved my pond, had a leak the day after we left for a 4 week trip. I could move the camera around as she walked the pond to find the issue and give her directions. It turned out to be a simple fix.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have free cloud for life but since I don't go away much I did not need extras .I even dismantled my camera on my puter because of all the news of people accessing them remotely .I guess that would depend on what you need and how much you want to spend .I know I can buy the zoom camera with sound for an extra 39 dollars .You travel a lot addy so it is useful to you since you are gone for months .I can access mine on my tablet and cell phone with a code .I do have to reset the cloud every monday and that was my choice .You can reset it when ever you want .Some only do it once a year .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
I use a GoPro in a waterproof house taped to the end of a 6' stick to maked the underwater videos.... but, you guys have inspired me with the fixed cams (especially the underwater ones) so i have a new project now :)

I'll blame you guys when the Mrs complains :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You are very good at finding stuff that works and making things for a lot less bucks. Sissy. I started with q-see, just sort of stuck with it. When I picked up the one I have now it was on sale, so at that time a decent deal. No where what you paid for yours though.

Andy, check into underwater cameras that they will work with the security system you pick up. My underwater cams work with my older q-see, not hd, to get a cam that would work with the hd one I would need to do some searching. We just run the old dvr with the fish cams on its own tv. Which works for us. I have a cam in the big pond and one in the 1000 gallon stock tank the dvr rotates between the two

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess it all comes down to budget .I see they sell those underwater cams at livingwaterscapes in NC but they are not cheap .Funny they have a automatic cleaning system for the lens to keep pics nice and clear .They have 2 kinds

Ask a Question