Can I get a Turtle in my Pond without a Ledge or any Land?

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
I was at a Chinese restaurant today and they had a nice fountain & turtles in the water and on land. My local pet store has the turtles for $20 but I don't have an area for him to Beach, any thoughts if they would survive or how to build somewhere for the Turtle to come Above ground to rest?

Below 2 pics are the turtles @ the restaurant on the left and then my pond on the right... it is 6 feet deep.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 4.45.37 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 4.45.37 PM.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 736
  • Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 4.44.58 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 4.44.58 PM.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 651

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Read this and it may answer your questions. Also, read "page 2" which addresses overwintering turtles.

http://exoticpets.about.com/od/aquaticturtles/a/turtlesponds.htm

With your pond, I would be afraid of a turtle getting hurt if it managed to get on the ledge -- it would probably fall. They ARE escape artists. Otherwise, taking into account the obvious safety factors, you could provide a floating dock or platform for it to be able to get out of the water and bask. You'd also have to research the habitat & dietary requirements of whatever kind you got.

Reaction score
yeah float a log or something i have had my turtle in the pond for 2 yrs now take him in for winter and he could walk away anytime he wanted but he has yet to leave maybe he likes me??

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've got a floating log in my pond for frogs.. maybe something like that for a turtle.. maybe use milk crates to help keep it in one part of the pond. If its free floating, it may be hard for the turtle to climb on without pushing the log away from it.

Reaction score
You would need a basking area for most "slider" type turtles, but that is not the problem I see with your pond. The problem I see with your pond is that the ledge around your pond is not a tall enough barrier for turtles and they would eventually climb out and not be able to get back in and wander off. I'm sure the pond in the restaurant had some sort of barrier to stop the turtles from climbing out.
I have a similar ledge on one side of my raised pond, and have had my turtles climb out. Fortunately they end up in our secure courtyard area where they were found again and placed back in the pond area. If not for the secure courtyard area they would have wandered off.
Our frogs also hop into the courtyard area nightly to hunt for bugs, and we sometimes noticed them too late, the hot sun had already gotten to them. The turtles are more resilient than frogs are out of the water for long periods of time. We solved the frog problem by placing a ramp beside the outside edge of the pond, and to my delight and amusement they adapted to it immediately. We eventually replaced the ramp with a large piece of driftwood that seems to work just as well as the ramp.
med_gallery_3859_189_97583.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice pond Shane. What kind of fish do you have? If you get turtles they may try to eat the smaller fish.

Looks like those turtles at the restaurant are fairly big. I wonder if the fish with them were meant to be turtle food and they just escaped being eaten while they were still small?

JBtheExplorer said:
I've got a floating log in my pond for frogs.. maybe something like that for a turtle.. maybe use milk crates to help keep it in one part of the pond. If its free floating, it may be hard for the turtle to climb on without pushing the log away from it.

I like the floating log idea. I think I might give that a try for my froggy friends :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
bettasngoldfish said:
I like the floating log idea. I think I might give that a try for my froggy friends :)
My Bull Frog is constantly on it! I put some moss on it and it tends to sit on the moss more than the bare log.. maybe it likes the cushion?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Nice Pond and Fish Shane! Not sure about the Turtles Man, But I have been thinking of doing the same in my yard and pond!

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
JBtheExplorer said:
Can I get a floating log from Petsmart? I just don't want the Turtle to get on the Boarder of the Pond and then fall the 2 feet down and out of the Pond.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
shanezam203 said:
Can I get a floating log from Petsmart? I just don't want the Turtle to get on the Boarder of the Pond and then fall the 2 feet down and out of the Pond.
I couldn't tell ya... My floating log is a literal floating log that I got from my woodpile. As I suggested, trying attaching it to milk crates that rest on the bottom, or something else so it stays in one spot and doesn't float to the edge of the pond. Also make sure the edge of your pond is high enough so the turtle cant clime over. Depending on the size of the turtle i'd recommend 8" from water level to the top of the walls.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3476]

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Nice pond a full grown turttle would get up and over that ledge with no problem.
They do need to bask in the sun and have some dry off time or they will have shell problems.

You can make a island out in the center for them and build up that ledge with more edgers or something like that.

Ruben

Ask a Question