Can I mix goldfish and koi in an aquarium?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Even goldfish can grow to six or 8 inches. That appears to be a 30 gallon tank (US measurements). Those fish are going to outgrow that tank very quickly. I am not an aquarium fish person, but you want fish that will stay small for a tank that size.

And all due respect @mgmine - but I would never recommend that someone buy fish with the intention of giving them away when they get too big - especially when it's a guarantee that they WILL get too big. That would be like saying go ahead and get a St. Bernard puppy for your small apartment - when it gets too big, just give it away. Why start out wrong?
For arguments sake,please don't get me wrong just out of curiosity,if I have 6 3" goldfish and I add the 4 kois how long do I have until they ask for more space?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Now you have 6? Did two die since we started chatting? ;)

You'd probably have a few months. But like I said - if you put too many fish into too small of a tank, you are asking for problems. Koi grow FAST. And goldfish aren't far behind them.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Now you have 6? Did two die since we started chatting? ;)

You'd probably have a few months. But like I said - if you put too many fish into too small of a tank, you are asking for problems. Koi grow FAST. And goldfish aren't far behind them.

I have 8 though I wouldn't mind sharing with a friend 2 probably so I can add koi.I love the looks of koi fish

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
One minute. They will start growing the instant you put them in the tank. The bigger point is you already have too many fish for the volume of water. Adding four more may just tip you over the edge and you won't have to worry about a bigger tank.

That sounds scary already

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That sounds scary already

It's definitely scary for the fish! Koi are not aquarium fish under most circumstances. If you want to see an aquarium that successfully housed koi, search for posts by Dave54 on this forum. He had a beautiful tank - but he eventually moved his fish to an outdoor pond.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
It's definitely scary for the fish! Koi are not aquarium fish under most circumstances. If you want to see an aquarium that successfully housed koi, search for posts by Dave54 on this forum. He had a beautiful tank - but he eventually moved his fish to an outdoor pond.
Ok boss now for advice,how frequently do I feed them?should the pump be on 24/7?how often is water changes and is it full change or?please advice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Irie G , I love it when people call me "buddy"
smthanks.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
For several years, I kept 3 comets (goldfish) and 2 bronze corydorus catfish in a 30 gallon tank. I felt that was about the limit, the comets were about 6" or so and the 2 corys were more like 3". I had both sub-sand and external filters and kept the tank about 70 degrees.

I agree with the above posts, even a few weeks with koi in that size tank would be too much. Sort of like stuffing 8 adult humans in a 500 Sq Ft house for the same length of time, with only one bathroom!

Good luck,

Steve

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
u can have tiny koi for few months with minimum food and maximum filtration but then u will b stuck they will have longer body they will need to swim more and will pollute the water quickly then what to do , this tank is best for chiclids they come in all colours , beside that if u want to enjoy colours of koi then its aerial view with dark background in a pond with sun light , in aquarium i have seen even the best kois dont display same beauty and indoor they turn pale colourless very soon

Reaction score
Country
United States

Not to mention Dave had a huge tank. Something like 250 gallons and he still had a lot of maintenance (water changes) with it housing koi.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Need at least 500 gallons for one mature Koi. Buy a decent external filter and grow a few for fun. Then figure out something later down the road.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I gi
u can have tiny koi for few months with minimum food and maximum filtration but then u will b stuck they will have longer body they will need to swim more and will pollute the water quickly then what to do , this tank is best for chiclids they come in all colours , beside that if u want to enjoy colours of koi then its aerial view with dark background in a pond with sun light , in aquarium i have seen even the best kois dont display same beauty and indoor they turn pale colourless very soon
Ok I give up doing koi in aquarium

Ask a Question