addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
just take it easy on the amount of food, even in newish ponds there is food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Talal, Do you know your water temp? It has been very cold here so far in Chicago and my fish are still sluggish. Your shouldn't feed your fish unless the water temps are consistently over 50 degrees otherwise they can't digest the food. Also their metabolism is slower and don't really need that much.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If it's too cold the food can rot in their guts and kill them. Start out w/ wheat germ based food before switching to summer foods talal and fish can go for a few weeks w/o food and they will always find something to eat that falls in the pond even w/ a new pond.

Reaction score
our temps here have been at just under to just over 60 for the past couple of days and today i made 1 small feeding in the middle of the day so they should be fine, and i trust all your advice so im going to really minimize the food to maybe once every few days because going from 4 feedings to no feedings seems kind of harsh to me

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
air temps arent what matters...its the waters temp...it can be 90* outside, if your waters not 50* or beeter yet 55* you shouldnt start feeding, even then, only spring / fall diet foods high in wheat germ, low in fats and proteins should be fed due to its high digestability. coming out of winter and its long cold fast, it takes time for the fish's digestive system to kick in ...in the fall you can feed down to 50*

Reaction score
I was talking about the pond water temp not the air temp and my fish were wintered indoors the whole winter so their digestive system did not stop....I will say that I have cut back the feedings big time from 4 feedings to 1 feeding every few days

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
o.k...its just the way your post reads...like you were talking air temps...my fish winter indoors as well...in a 800 gal pond.

Reaction score
I should have been more clear I can see how you read it like that and I agree that I should have said water temp and yeah I don't want to chance leaving them outside.

Reaction score
Mine too,I think I was more anxious to get them outside then they were to go back to a larger pond...but soon I'm expanding my pond and I can't wait to finish

JamesCarter1963

Friend of Fish
Reaction score
I have recently lost a 5 year old Koi that I raised from a finger size to about 23". It began with him nosing under one of the slate hiding areas I created and yestersday I found him sideways in it nose first. The space was shared by another yellow Koi about the same size and age who appeared fine outside of being lethargic and not feeding that evening. I now note that today most of the larger fish appear to be stationary at either the bottom of the pond or on a shelf area. They did not appear to feed either. Last evening I did a 20% water change. Two weeks ago I had a Blue Heron show up at the pond and I believe he feed on several of my smaller fish. Per my neighbors, this was the second time he saw him in the middle of my pond fishing. I have since put up netting on the pond and I don't believe he has returned. The pond appeard for years and the fish and turtle have always wintered over with no issues before now. I have been adding a plant food suppliment to my pond over the last several weeks, using the correct doasage of 2oz per 50 gallons of water. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what was done to save the pond? I offer my sincerest thanks in advance for any assistance.

Best regards,

Jim Carter

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey jim
Welcome to our group! They like you to introduce yourself first in the intro thread. Then you should cut and past your post into a thread created by you for your problem. You are attached to somebody elses problem.

Makes it easier for us to help and follow what is wrong

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
JamesCarter1963 said:
I have recently lost a 5 year old Koi that I raised from a finger size to about 23". It began with him nosing under one of the slate hiding areas I created and yestersday I found him sideways in it nose first. The space was shared by another yellow Koi about the same size and age who appeared fine outside of being lethargic and not feeding that evening. I now note that today most of the larger fish appear to be stationary at either the bottom of the pond or on a shelf area. They did not appear to feed either. Last evening I did a 20% water change. Two weeks ago I had a Blue Heron show up at the pond and I believe he feed on several of my smaller fish. Per my neighbors, this was the second time he saw him in the middle of my pond fishing. I have since put up netting on the pond and I don't believe he has returned. The pond appeard for years and the fish and turtle have always wintered over with no issues before now. I have been adding a plant food suppliment to my pond over the last several weeks, using the correct doasage of 2oz per 50 gallons of water. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what was done to save the pond? I offer my sincerest thanks in advance for any assistance.

Best regards,

Jim Carter

Jim
Please Introduce yourself ASAP, in the meantime, do you have any mulm in the bottom of your pond? If so, immediatley get it out. You can use a shop vac and or a net to do this.

If this is not the case, take some measurements and report those to us. Do this, then do a partial water change.
DrDave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ha Ha addy............like that what you said about attached to somebody else's problems, so true, we have enough of our own :lol:

Ask a Question