addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no kidding jw! How is it going Jim? did you test your water levels?

JamesCarter1963

Friend of Fish
Reaction score
DrDave said:
Jim
Please Introduce yourself ASAP, in the meantime, do you have any mulm in the bottom of your pond? If so, immediatley get it out. You can use a shop vac and or a net to do this.

If this is not the case, take some measurements and report those to us. Do this, then do a partial water change.
DrDave

Dr. Dave;
Thank you. Forgive me, but I am not certain what Mulm is and perhaps you can enlighten me on it. My pond size is 6'-0" X 6'-0" X 2'-6" deep. I estimate approximately 1000 gallons. I believe I have found the culprit and unfortunately have lost all of my bigger fish. For reasons I can not explain, the fish 5" or smaller seem to be doing fine. Just prior to this incident I set a freshly potted fern on top of the waterfall. I potted the fern using a moisture holding soil. This soil I have found contains chemicals that alter PH, and I can only surmise that the balance of the established pond was damaged to the point of critical. I will get the test results on the water and post them tomorrow. Can anyone explain why this would affect/kill off the large fish but not the smaller ones nor the red eared slider?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the definition of mulm is in my opinion, junk on the bottom of your pond, fish poop, dead vegetation etc.

Definition: Mulm is the undecomposed fish wastes and other solid matter that accumulates in the aquarium as a fine, brownish, fluffy material requiring periodic removal by siphoning.

Most likely the larger a fish is the less tolerant it is to changes, like ph, low oxygen levels etc.

Any plant that goes into the water should be in pea gravel or pure clay. The potting soils can easily hurt your fish, no clue what is in some of them.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Thanks Addy, perfect response on the Mulm.
As for plants in my ponds, I NEVER use any soil, They are either bare root, or in pea gravel. That includes my water lillies that always flower, and are never fertilized artificially.

Ask a Question