Someone please help me

Reaction score
He died right after this video about an hour or 2 ago
This is my story
I have just moved into a house with an existing pretty well developed 450 gallon pond that had gold fish in it. Lacking knowledge I went an purchased a bunch of feeder fish and several young Koi.
Long story short after a bunch of mistakes and a lot of flashing lathargic fish with diminishing appetites,and the death of several of them. I was told to empty the pond scrub it and refill It. I used top fin water treatment, salt and tetra pond fish treatment I also have a small 126 gallon pond next to the larger one. That was really uncared for,but I was told to house them in their anyway. I put the fish in while I was cleaning out the bigger pond.i posted every step of the way and asked AND waited to be instructed to move the fish back. But I just stopped receiving responses.
The small pond was infested with algae and a lot of mud on the bottom but I was not able to see the level of sludgy mud until I drained that one to retrieve them and return them to the larger pond. It was horrible. For 2 days they lived in MUD. (Thick mud) to the point I couldn't see the fish at all. Also we're talking about somewhere in the range of 20 to 25 fish in very small quarters.
I spent 2 days testing the water in the bigger pond making sure the levels were ok, and after not receiving response to my cry for help I moved the fish back fearing they couldn't breath and that ammonia was going to kill them or disease.
This was Tuesday, Thursday we moved the koi and fancy goldfish back. I housed the remaining goldfish in buckets while I cleaned the small pond than returned them. (They all seem healthy and happy no flashing)
As for my large pond, my largest Koi (about 4 or 5 inches) is still flashing a lot. I have lost 3 fancy goldfish, and it looks like I'm about to loose 1 more. And to top it off I caught a pretty large snake taking a dip today
frown.png
. I don't want to loose anymore! What else can I do. Here are my readings
Ph 7.5
Ammonia 0 ppm
No2 0 ppm
No3 40 ppm
Gh 180
Kh 180

ps I have about 5 koi, 4 about 2 inches and 1, 4 to 5 inch (I'm worried about him) his coloring seem to be becoming dull
2 fancy gold fish there were approximately 6 fancies and 3 have just vanished and 2 died
1, 5 inch goldfish
and 2, 2 inch

Reaction score
Also one of my small koi is not leaving the area under the water feature just hanging out their with the water pouring on him

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Colleen. Your pond needs to build up beneficial bacterial to process ammonia and nitrites because you scrubbed the sides. Sometime this can take 4 weeks or more. Also you have way too many fish and that is what probably caused the flashing because the ammonia was eating away their stress coat. Also you need oxygen pumped into the water. That's why the fish is hanging in the water feature because it doesn't have enough oxygen in the water for them to breathe. Low O2 will kill your fish. You will see the biggest fish die first from this and probably see it in the morning when O2 levels are at the lowest. Honestly you probably need to re-home some of them until you get your water quality under control because it will be a big uphill battle to get the water good with so many fish in the pond. You gave zero readings for ammonia but I don't trust that based on the description you gave and think you must have had very high ammonia and nitrite You can try water changes of 15-20% each day if you don't have anywhere to put them until your pond cycles.

Reaction score
I'm using the API master test kit to test the water like 3 times a day? But I will take your advice and thank you for the response I appreciate it SO much! One more question.....if by chance there was to much of the tetra water treatment for disease put in the water could that cause this?
I ask because the fist huge mistake which took place in the beginning was a miscalculation of the pond size and to much of that medication was added to the water the next morning 11 fish were dead. I'm wondering if possibly my husband did this again and is afraid to tell me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I would say yea, it could be a factor in your fish loss. Can you run an aerator? Lots of O2 and good water will go a long way to keeping your fish alive, till your pond cycles and you can rehome some fish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! I definitely wouldn't add any more fish. 450 gallons is a small pond, OK for goldfish, but too small for koi. Let everything settle in, and monitor your water quality closely, with water changes as necessary.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Let's start from the beginning.
What are the measurements of your pond? Just to check the size.
How many fish do you have in your pond now?
What kind of filter do you have in there?
How much are you feeding them?
What plants do you have in there?
Algae is not always bad thing. It's a green plant which is nature's detoxifier. It will get rid of your ammonia and you can get an ammonia spike if you suddenly remove all of it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Let's start from the beginning.
What are the measurements of your pond? Just to check the size.
How many fish do you have in your pond now?
What kind of filter do you have in there?
How much are you feeding them?
What plants do you have in there?
Algae is not always bad thing. It's a green plant which is nature's detoxifier. It will get rid of your ammonia and you can get an ammonia spike if you suddenly remove all of it.

Excellent, John! Too many times we all start jumping in with our questions & opinions, when what we need to do is start over and take a "scientific" look at what's going on, beginning with the very basics!

Reaction score
Hi thanks everyone for your input.
The pond is 428 gallons
I have about 10 fish all about 2 inches except one koi that is about 5 inches, 4 of the other fish are koi the rest are goldfish
Being very new to this saying what kind of filter is hard for me cause I don't know. It is aprox 9x11 and has a waterfall feature and a thick white and blue pad I just put in about 5 days ago previously it had no filter pad in it.
Today I purchased a pond aerator which seems to have already made a big difference. I also added pimafix and Mira fix and my fish that were barly moving are swimming around like normal now?
Before I drained the pond and cleaned it I was over excited about this new venture and was feeding them 2too 3 times a day, too much (big handfuls) plus some worms :(
I have 3 Lilly pad plants and a lot of iris and a minimal amount of long green garland looking stuff.
I have my fingers crossed as all the fish seem to have perked up, and there were several fish who seemed to be dulling in their color and already they seem brighter!
One fish that was just hoovering at the surface for 2 days not eating and seem to be trying to hide from the other fish has started eating and swimming and has even taken a dip to the bottom of the pond. Also I thought I had lost 3 of the above mentioned fish because they seemed to vanish into thin air for about 4 days have since the Pima and mirafix reappeared!
story.php

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Lots of good advice. I think the contamination from the mud bath they had some time to breath is also one of the factors. Gill flukes and other critters live in the mud, and although it helps balance the pond, it really does a number on the fish breathing abilities if they are forced to swim in it.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Being very new to this saying what kind of filter is hard for me cause I don't know.
- Fish: That's going to be quite a lot of fish for that small pond. Right now, the fish are small but they grow quickly and the koi will produce quite a bit of waste.
- Filter: Can you take some pictures of that?
- Food: Feeding them sparingly is the key. The pond is a closed system and everything you put in will eventually become waste. A big handful 2-3x a day is probably 30x more than needed. I have a 800g pond with double the fish and I put in 1/2 a thimbleful 2x a day. Some ponders don't even feed them and the fish eat whatever lives in the pond be it algae or larvae.

- Depending on where you live, floating plants such as water hyacinths are good at removing toxins.
- Water change should be done weekly or so as maintenance.
- Is this an indoor pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have just moved into a house with an existing pretty well developed 450 gallon pond that had gold fish in it. Lacking knowledge I went an purchased a bunch of feeder fish and several young Koi.

Just to clarify this.....The pond was established with goldfish already? Did you quarantine the new fish before adding them to the existing pond? Did the problems start after adding the new fish?

Reaction score
John, When you say take a pic of the filter do you mean the motor part or the box part? And now that I have 3 weeks of professional experiance pretty much killing my fish(ugh) I have decreased feeding to once a day. I suppose my concern with that is that after hardcore scrubbing the pond to remove what ever it was that was killing them I'm worried that I have not left them with enough nature made food.
Betasgoldfish yes the pond had goldfish in it. At least I assume they were gold fish, and the problem did uccur after I extended the family well beyond compasity. I very sure in the first 2 weeks I did "Everything" wrong. Including not quarantining to newbies. Why don't they tell you all this stuff at the store when you purchase new fish especially when you tell them the backround info!
Btw I'm 30 min outside Philadelphia and I have hard water as well.
As of right now the fish "seem" to be ok.......but than a week ago I thought flashing was a cute way that the fish play. I would like to post pics but I don't know how to do it?
It has been one week tomorrow since I refilled and cleaned the pond the instructions on the tretra bacteria treatment says to give it again tomorrow.
I did the pimafix and mirafix today should I still add the tetra tomorrow?

Ask a Question