Cardenas

Reaction score
A very nice lady who owns a small restaurant we frequent, her name is Also Gloria.

DSCF3083_zps7964efb9.jpg

The mercado..

DSCF3096_zps391146d7.jpg

Prices are so cheap on hand made pottery.

DSCF3114_zpsaff52443.jpg

Look close, that's pesos, 12 pesos make a dollar.

DSCF3119_zpsdffe79a0.jpg

They may be poor, but they never go hungry.

DSCF3121_zps249dcf37.jpg

Dried insects from Oaxaca, a crunchy, spicy treat.

DSCF3124_zps6b1e9bc1.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When we visited Hawaii everyone had chickens everywhere and roam free ones lived all over in the bushes, supermarkets............all over the place. Oh boy a burro, that will be fun and you should be able to make a nice looking home w/ all the rocks and have some left over for your pond and gardens also. Lots of nice ideas on that site w/ all the photos. I just love rocks! You guys are just having too much fun together meeting lots of nice new friends and going to all those neat shops and seeing all the beautiful sights of a new area. Did you eat those bugs..............I bet you did after a few of those little drinks you love to sip on ;)

Reaction score
I passed on the bugs only because we were running late for an appointment to see more land but I will try them. We went with Inez, a lady we met who works at the restaurant to see more land. We looked at three and will return today. Two are pretty heavily wooded, one is sugar cane. I like the one with a stream running through it, but there is no cell phone signal there, you have to drive about 2 kilometers to the cemetery to get a signal, so that one may be out. Gloria like one in particular, it is on the edge of a very poor village at the base of the mountains. Slightly sloped, a good road going down to it on a very steep grade. There is a small house next to it we could also buy cheap for my workshop and storage.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sounds like you are getting closer to finding the right one. A stream would be nice but you do have to have a phone. Wonder if there is any way to boost your signal out there somehow? You will find the one for you waiting out there somewhere. Yuck on the bugs!

Reaction score
We have decided on the banana plantation. The owners are coming to the hotel to meet us to finalize the deal. We have everything there, phone, internet, tv and a stream right next to it. I'll bury some pvc and pump or water from the stream. Will live in our trailer until the hose is built, then rock in the trailer so it blends in.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Congrats on your new property and you have all you need there while you wait to finish building your new house. You must show us pix as you build. This is going to be exciting!

Reaction score
Well it boiled down to two pieces of land, the banana plantation and another gently sloping piece of land at the foot of a mountain, both easy to clear. We went to look at the second and the man said he had another. It was large, but L shaped and sloping, slightly wooded. He wanted way too much so we walked to the other. That was when he explained that the lots were divided and the piece in the middle wasn't for sale, so that was out.

Back to the banana farm, they had cleared the perimeter of what was for sale, it was smaller than we wanted, but acceptable. The owner showed up and walked the property with me. Later, she was supposed to meet us at the hotel and said she had an additional 25 meters to add to the land. She didn't show up, Mexico has a lax attitude about appointments in general, late is normal, not showing up at all is acceptable.

Today, we will call her again and finalize the deal. Dante knows a reputable contractor who will install the septic system, dig the well and lay some rock for the trailer. Once this is done, the wall will be built along the front so the electric meter can be installed. We can then move the trailer here and be present during the construction.

We are excited about the new home and are looking at traditional Mexican home designs on the internet. I will finally have my "no mow" lawn as we will have the entire back yard paved with flat, smooth river stones, stone planter boxes, a fireplace and more.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Funny about how things are so different around the world. If people don't show up here for appts they are considered dead meat!

Hope she shows up today to finalize the deal and you can get busy on moving onto it. I would love a no mow property as we have an acre to mow most every week.

Amy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Congrats on finding the right place. I am happy for you, but sad for me, as I have enjoyed the "tour" of places and the inside scoop of what they are like.
I am looking forward to seeing your home/pond building and landscaping. I am sure it will be fantastic!

Reaction score
Congrats on finding the right place. I am happy for you, but sad for me, as I have enjoyed the "tour" of places and the inside scoop of what they are like.
I am looking forward to seeing your home/pond building and landscaping. I am sure it will be fantastic!

I sure need suggestions on a super efficient pump as they will tag you for excessive energy use. But with no AC, that will help.

I'm sure that once the house is built and I begin my landscaping, I'll have a line of boys standing at the gate every morning with wagons and wheel barrows of smooth river rocks every morning. I'll advertise one peso per rock and here is the close, local supply. My home will be built out of these as well. But then again. with such a magnificent river on the back of my property, why would I need a pond? Who but God could make this?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd...._=1422547264_5b2cee5d98ce826b316da1b9e4df8061

I now understand why they want me to be the Godfather of their children s badly. These people are very poor, this is a typical village a few blocks from our new home, we are on the end of the road. If both parents were to die, they want to know that their children will be cared for.

DSCF3161_zps1870dd78.jpg

DSCF3155_zps7174f247.jpg

Reaction score
I loved following your journey here. Please keep up the news and pics thru your work. Sounds hard to live in the middle of all this poverty. Yes looks like you will have lots of little workers to help with chores no wonder they will be happy to have you there.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We've talked about submersible pumps here and Laguna makes some pretty efficient ones: http://www.lagunaponds.com/en_us/laguna-max-flo-4280-waterfall-filter-pump/
What a nice river to have right there next to your property. I would love it! Sad seeing the way the people there live. You will make a wonderful godfather. They will think you are rich in the way you will be living.

Reaction score

This journey is far from over, we will leave for Mexico City Wednesday for me to meet the family. This city is a monster, in terms of population it is the third largest in the world following Tokyo and Seoul. Then it will be on to Oaxaca (Whoa haaka) to meet her son, daughter in law and grand daughter. I will be Wello, or her grandfather. We were going to Papantla to look also, but Gloria slipped on the tile and broke her arm on her birthday here, so riding is not good for her right now. We will miss seeing mount Orizaba out of our window every morning, but we will be back.

DSCF2997_zps0280200f.jpg

DSCF3180_zps23103737.jpg

DSCF3183_zpsd9d1be50.jpg

DSCF3181_zpsa212d21c.jpg

DSCF3188_zpsf10b1726.jpg

DSCF3183_zpsd9d1be50.jpg

DSCF3186_zpsebc817b1.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh bummer on Gloria breaking her arm and for Heavens sakes on her birthday!
Enjoy your trip to meet her family and don't get lost in that big crowded city. We'll see you when you get back. Did the land owner ever show up to sell you the banana property to make it official?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patinmb

Latest Threads