Cardenas

Reaction score
Thanks JW, we will find out at 4:00 if she needs surgery. We asked several times and found the hotel. I'm sure glad Gloria speaks fluent Spanish. She lived in Europe for so long she has a really unique accent, a combination of Mexican and French if you can imagine that.

We met with Dante's brother yesterday evening, he is a really professional architect. He explained a lot like the septic system or "Fosa". The land here stays saturated so the large fosa must be cleaned out every three years, this only costs about $23.00. He also recommended a "Tapanga" or loft for the bedroom, this maximizes space and makes for a huge bedroom. We were having trouble moving $25,000.00 from the US to here, there is a limit even in online banking. But the sale of my palapa will be deposited in our Mexican account soon or I will just have the money deposited from my 401k into our bank.

We just walked to the street and ate fresh, hot tacos. The lady makes the tortilla right in front of you from blue corn only grown here, it turns black when dried but was delicious. You can pick what you want on it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey that would be an interesting accent. You can record her talking in Spanish and put it on youtube. It would be fun to hear her speak. I'm sitting here trying to speak that way myself to see how it might sound. Good for you both living there w/her able to speak the language so well. I would be lost!

Only $23 to clean that Fosa? Good deal like everything else there. Why don't they want too much money coming there? Something to do w/ drug problems there or hiding money? How do people move there w/ lots of money and buy big estates or build them if they can't get their money?

Love how you guys are living so free and easy to do what you want whenever you want in that interesting place to explore. I remember you said something about Gloria traveling and involved in helping people in other areas. Are you both gonna still do that or is your commitment now to Mexico?

Fresh cooked taco's sound yummy! You still gonna get a burro?

Reaction score
Hey that would be an interesting accent. You can record her talking in Spanish and put it on youtube. It would be fun to hear her speak. I'm sitting here trying to speak that way myself to see how it might sound. Good for you both living there w/her able to speak the language so well. I would be lost!

Only $23 to clean that Fosa? Good deal like everything else there. Why don't they want too much money coming there? Something to do w/ drug problems there or hiding money? How do people move there w/ lots of money and buy big estates or build them if they can't get their money?

Love how you guys are living so free and easy to do what you want whenever you want in that interesting place to explore. I remember you said something about Gloria traveling and involved in helping people in other areas. Are you both gonna still do that or is your commitment now to Mexico?

Fresh cooked taco's sound yummy! You still gonna get a burro?

Great news, Gloria does not need surgery. Another 2 weeks immobilized then some PT and she will be good as new.We are exhausted after a long, twisty drive through the mountains. Gloria's DIL warned us about how dangerous Mexico City is, not to leave the hotel at night and don't take cabs. They work in tandem with a partner, if they get a client that lloks like they might have money, they take a side road and the partner jumps in the cab and robs you with a gun. We will be glad to get out of here.

The money deal is both about money laundering and taxation. If you transport new electronics or things, you have to pay a tax on them. You are not supposed to bring more than $10,000.00 in per person. If I were in the states, I could simply transfer the money into her account here, but you can't do that online. To further complicate things, an American cannot open bank account here until you attain citizenship. Luckily, I married a Mexican Lady, so after 2 years (March 10th) I will qualify for dual citizenship.

We will continue with charity work of some type. I feel God led us here for a reason and there is a large need with all of the poverty. The handicapped beg for money on the streets lacking any social programs. The first time I gave one some pesos, he didn't even look at me, I thought "A thank you would be nice." The next time, I was waiting for Gloria and an old man was begging, holding his hand out with his head down. I dropped money in his cup and he did the same. I walked back and watched him, he took each coin out of the cup, made the sign of the cross with it, kissed it and put it in his pocket, then hung his head again.

I realized that they are a proud people, and don't want to be in this situation. There is a lot of work as far as charity goes, the children need school supplies here too. But Gloria says the young have opportunities in the future, the old have no hope here. I missed the best picture ever. A very old woman sells matches on the street. Gloria gave her pesos and a hug, the look on her face was priceless. As the bible says, the harvest is rich, but the workers are few.

Reaction score
We are going to the Museum of Anthropology today. They have the original Sun Stone (What people call the Aztec calender) and a lot of other Aztec and Mayan artifacts. Mexico, lacking the funds is largely unexplored as far as uncovering artifacts. I intend to prowl the mountains surrounding our land a lot. I love history.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad to hear Gloria does not need surgery. I bet she is pretty relieved. Good you have input from Gloria's DIL on the to do's to stay safe. I would want to leave as fast as possible. Too scary!

God will show you where he needs your to help. So sad for the masses of people there just trying to stay alive. Not much happiness for some when they can't even get past being hungry. They are thankful for what you give, they just know every bit comes from God working in you and they give their thankfulness to Him.

Have fun exploring the history at that museum. I know you will be out there searching down in the bowels of the earth for buried pirate treasure and artifacts. We want to see what you find!

Amy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Those tamales look great! I'll take a rum and coke, too! Sounds like your having a great life. Please, keep the updates coming.

The water wheel and solar panel are good ideas. Couldn't you do the septic tank beside the house, since you do have space.

Reaction score
Well we are leaving Mexico City today for Oaxaca, the traffic is insane. I met the family and they are wonderful, Ricardo is 61 and he was wearing a Led Zepplin T shirt last night, has attended many Rolling Stones concerts. His son Ricardo plays drums in a heavy metal band, their two daughters are beautiful. I will post pictures later as they have to be uploaded to photobucket.

Amy, Dante found us twice the land near his home for less money so yes, we can put the septic tank where we want.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Get back to your peaceful mountains. Nice you got to meet Gloria's family and enjoy their company. Will be fun for you guys building a brand new life together on you new property. Looking forward to your pix :)

Reaction score
I met the family at a local cantina restaurant and what a party it was.

DSCF3282_zpsbe35904c.jpg

Her beautiful niece, Adrianna.

DSCF3286_zps027f9001.jpg

Her other niece Carolina.

DSCF3290_zps42380a26.jpg

Her sister and husband.

DSCF3288_zps465f41d6.jpg

Beautiful women.

DSCF3298_zps644f6882.jpg

Her nephew Ricardo, a drummer in a heavy metal band.

DSCF3300_zps2b797e3b.jpg

We closed the bar down at 3:30 AM

DSCF3313_zps83789c75.jpg

Reaction score
We are in Oaxaca, everything grows here as well, this is all in her son's yard.

These big fruit are a variety of grapefruit, larger than a softball, the rind is about 2 inched thick, the actual fruit is like a golfball.

DSCF3357_zps2108bf6e.jpg

A small fruit, very tasty.

DSCF3360_zpsffc75cfc.jpg

What doesn't fruit, blooms.

DSCF3363_zps98b0dffe.jpg

DSCF3365_zpsd7776405.jpg

DSCF3371_zps629acaa2.jpg

Agave blooming, bees are busy.

DSCF3370_zps02ec4d76.jpg

DSCF3371_zps629acaa2.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like you had a lot of fun w/ your new family.
You have lots of neat looking plants and trees w/interesting unheard of edible fruits there. One could live off the land there easy.

Amy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Awesome new family. Looks like they all accepted you as one of their own.

Love the plants. They are beautiful and I don't think you will ever go hungry!

Reaction score
Went to a mescal factory today, saw how they made it and tried samples of it all. Ate the bugs, a worm and spent $200.00 on mescal. Tequila is 19% alcohol, mescal is 45-50-%. Way too drunk to post more, but took lots of good pics. We will take a siesta and hit one more cantina tonight. Hasta manana.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sweet dreams! I would have nightmares if I ate a worm and bugs...................I wouldn't do it tho unless I had a gun up against my head and I don't plan on that happening.

Reaction score
Nightmares... They begin by showing you the varieties of agave, the Coyote has hallucinogenic qualities and I can attest to that, that's one of the ones I bought. We just took what I thought was a nap but it was one long, vivid dream. Eating the bugs and worm is tradition, you can't refuse or it would be an insult to their culture. They are quite good actually, spicy with a crunchy texture. I expected the worm to be squishy but it too was crunchy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bospond

Latest Threads