Central Florida pond under construction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by shinksma, Feb 11, 2013.

1. shinksma

callingcolleen1 mad hatter

Wow Sissy your back! I missed your posts and wondered how you were doing? :)

They mess baskets that I was taking about are the black ones designed for ponds. I still have one in the pond with my big sweet flag in it. The sweet flag has overgrown that basket 10 years ago I think, but I just left it alone cause it is doing so well and they alway overgrown there pot. That mesh basket is like 20 years old. The other mesh basket bust many years ago that the Yellow Flag water iris used to be in, and it broke away easy as the Yellow Flag grows different, the rihzomes pushed the basket till it broke, whereas the sweet flag the rihzomes grew over top the pot.

My old hardy lilly is planted in an big old kitchen plastic vegetable strainer which is still fine 20 years later, except the Lilly is in desperate need of transplanting.

The tropical Lilly's that I used to plant up years ago at this greenhouse that I worked at came shipped dry in wood chips and they were in really good shape with new growth tips, just like the ones they sold at Wal-Mart, they too would sit on the shelves all spring packed dry in just wood chips and they were in great shape as well, with new growth tips all over waiting to sprout. I USED to think they had to be stored damp but after working with the ones that were packed dry in wood chips and kept very cool, I know think they keep better that way. Although I don't have a tropical Lilly, but I was very tempted to buy one after seeing how well they grow, but I don't have space left in pond for them to grow, and I don't want to be bothered with taking in a tropical Lilly.

If your bulb is firm with no signs of mold, then they should be fine. :)

callingcolleen1, Mar 20, 2013
    CountryEscape likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. shinksma

shinksma

Some more recent pics (from tonight):

I had to throw in a few of our pets. One with one of our cats and both dogs, and another with the other cat. All enjoying the late-afternoon sunshine.

As I had previously mentioned, a few plants outside the pond have been moved around, most prominently the addition of Kangaroo Paw next to the electrical outletpost in place of the stromanthe sanguinea "triostar" [I originally thought it was variegated Ctenanthe Oppenheimiana (Never Never Plant)].

Also a couple close ups of some irises that recently opened up.

shakaho, I can't take any useful pics of the goldfish you gave us yet, but I'll keep an eye on them. They are still quite shy. Not surprising with two dogs and two cats prowling around near the pond (even if they are indifferent to the critters in the water!)

I was given a smallish (100 gal) preformed pond by a co-worker (he keeps koi in his screened-in lanai area, never used the pond shell), which I will be installed as a bog for carnivorous plants. Anyone know of a handy place to buy CPs in the Orlando area?

shinksma

Attached Files:

shinksma, Mar 22, 2013
    Shawn, callingcolleen1, j.w and 2 others like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. shinksma

CountryEscape

Oh my, thanks so much for the spring greenery you have near your pond. What lovely pics, and I love the animal pics, too. My dogs and cat are oblivious to the fish, too, although my one cat used to love to chase the frogs into the water, acted like he was going to catch one. All he did was knock the rocks into the pond from the ledge. LOL The turtles that got out of the pond were fair game to the dogs, though, and I hate that, but I guess that's nature. Now, if they would just learn to kill the snapping turtles and leave the painted turtles alone, that would be fine, but I fear the snappers would do more damage to them that they would do to that type of turtle. Just need to leave the mama alone, as she's larger than a dinner plate!!!
    Beautiful flowers, too. I'm still waiting for spring to decide to come and stay here in IL. Soon .... hoping it's soon ...

CountryEscape, Mar 22, 2013
  4. shinksma

sissy sissy

we love pets on here and love to see them and enjoy hearing about them .geeze jw I would be a frozen in place there .Not sure i could take that kind of cold as it is hard on the bones .

sissy, Mar 22, 2013
  5. shinksma

j.w I Love my Goldies

Nice pix Shink and love all your cute pets! Very nice pond and property you have there too. Looks like you have wonderful landscaping skills :blueflower:

Sissy I just knew you would never move to Michigan. I lived there for 2 yrs and one of them was some of the worst snow weather they had had in years. I had enough of that and not fair cuz I love the snow but it was too cold to go out in it for a nice walk or play in it :grumble:

j.w, Mar 22, 2013
  6. shinksma

callingcolleen1 mad hatter

I just loved your pet family photos, looks like all the pets like to relax by the pond too! When the weather is nice here in the summer, my puppies loves to sit by pond with me and relax, and soak up some Sunny vitamin D! :)

callingcolleen1, Mar 23, 2013
  7. shinksma

gardengimp

Looks like the dogs and cats like chilling by the pond.

Went to the Wildflower Festival in Deland today, brought home a swamp milkweed and a scarlet hibiscus. Also some land Florida variety of columbine.

A vendor there had a small selection of carnivorous plants, he said he has a LOT more at his place. It is EFG Orchids, www.efgorchids.com in Deland. I've also heard tell of somebody in the New Symrna beach / Edgewater area that specializes in carnivorous plants, but I've never tried to find out who that is. There is a pretty good variety of local pitcher plants and some sundew and bladderwart to be found around local water that is probably just now starting to come out of dormancy.

Wellspring Gardens is a good online source for seedling sized carnivorous plants.

Sounds like a fun project!

gardengimp, Mar 23, 2013
    callingcolleen1 likes this.
  8. shinksma

Shawn Sweet Pea

Sounds like you have some good idea's. Your pond size is very close to ours. I think you will be happy with it. We have a waterfall at one end and a skimmer at the other. Our pond is 3 ft. deept at one end and about a foot and a half at the other. My husband wanted a bog end for plants. This worked out pretty good, the plants are doing great and the fish love it. Hope all works out. Hope to see some pictures real soon.

Shawn, Mar 23, 2013
  9. shinksma

shinksma

Hello again...

Been busy with "other stuff" (life, work, other hobbies, blah blah). But I've been enjoying the pond, and the goldfish shakaho gave us. They have finally lost their shyness, and whenever I approach the pond they swim to the surface near me to ask for food. If put my hand in to adjust a plant/pot they swim around my hand, hoping for something, I guess.

Here are a few pics from today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The horsetail is annoyed because it got knocked over in the wind/rain sometime in the past week or two (I was away for a bit, and ignored the pond for a few days after).

On another note, I had intended to create an acidic bog garden to grow carnivorous plants using a small pre-formed pond liner. I could never get the pH below 8 for very long (!), no matter how much muriatic acid or sulfur I added. I tested the water and sand, and they both came back neutral (pH 7), so I am wondering whether the peat I used was somehow acting an an alkalinity buffer. Weird. Anyway, I emptied it out, filled it with water, and it is now a duckweed farm, with a couple of other plants in it.

Anyway, hopefully I will remember ro post here more often.

shinksma

shinksma, Jun 8, 2013
    sissy likes this.
  10. shinksma

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I used peat and sand 50/50 mix, our rain and well water are acidic, the carnivorous plants love it. Full sun. I used a cheap home depot liner, 9 bucks, dug a shallow hole, around 6 inches deep. Filled it with the mix, the roots are shallow don't need a lot of depth.

addy1, Jun 8, 2013
  11. shinksma

CountryEscape

That's it, I'm going to try a carnivorous garden. First I have to find a place to buy the plants. Do you have a good source, Addy, or did you find yours local? I've never seen carnivorous plants locally at any of our stores. I figure will have to buy on-line, but want a good reputable place, don't want to pay for plants that will arrive dead.
    Also, wondering about the large pots I have. Intended them to be lotus pots, but I evidently cannot grow lotus, except the one I got from the lake, thought it was a lily, but pretty sure it's a lotus. It's in the pond, so I have 4 very large pots with no holes in the bottoms. Would they work? That way I could see if they would grow, it would keep me from getting too many plants, and if they multiply and grow, then I can think about making something larger in time.

CountryEscape, Jun 10, 2013
  12. shinksma

sissy sissy

welcome back ce and hope you enjoyed yourself

sissy, Jun 10, 2013
  13. shinksma

CountryEscape

I had a great time with my kids and nephew and his family. We all got along great, and it was a fantastic time in Hawaii! Only thing I wished I would have been able to do would have been to go to the big koi breeder, Kodama Koi! Their website said not open to the public, though, and I didn't want to lie and say I wanted to look at fish to buy. I'm NOT a good liar. LOL

CountryEscape, Jun 10, 2013
    sissy likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question